• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone else's Reader sometimes "possessed"?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Wondering if anyone else occasionally has a reader that sometimes closes the reader door at weird times, seemingly all by itself?

I have my device prefs set to "auto eject" when done scanning. When scanning completes and the tray ejects... sometimes in a few seconds it pulls the tray back in. Sometimes is does that in 5-10 minutes, sometimes even later. Disc is sitting there "ejected", but if i don't leap up to remove the disk, it often sucks it back in and tries to rescan it for some reason.

It's not a huge problem, just a little annoying. My "import" logs show dozens of "Disc already imported!" messages since many of my discs get inadvertently rescanned because of this.

:confused:

Yeah, this started happening to me within the first month. K dropped a replacement to me. At the time it seems that they weren't aware of any other such possessed readers. The replacement has been solid for atleast 400-500 discs without one drawer problem.

wow. good info! I guess I'll have to report this issue to my dealer or Kscape customer service.

thanks regwood!

Sticky player

Has anyone had any problems with their player sticking. I have had a problem where you scroll in the list or art page and you can't stop it from scrolling? I'm unsure if this is a Kscape problem or a Crestron programming issue?

mawilla said:
Has anyone had any problems with their player sticking. I have had a problem where you scroll in the list or art page and you can't stop it from scrolling? I'm unsure if this is a Kscape problem or a Crestron programming issue?

Hi Mawila - Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen that issue, but I think it's far more likely to be an issue with the Crestron than with the player since I haven't heard anyone else with that issue. An easy way to check is to use a cheap universal remote control that is set for a Toshiba DVD player and see if you see the same problem. If so, it's in your player, if not, it was in your crestron programming or equipment.

--josh

Yeah, most likely a Crestron programming issue. I had the same problem with my wireless AMX panels. The programmer has to make a small adjustment to the programming.

Are you using the IP module for communication?

I'm not sure how it all works to be honest! I think the Crestron AV2 controls everything. I'm pretty conviced it is a programming issue, as I tried rebooting the K-player but it didn't work howvere reebooting the AV2 seemed to sort it. I've recently had another problem in that no audio comes out from the movie, but sound is coming out on the DVD menu. Any ideas?

mawilla said:
I've recently had another problem in that no audio comes out from the movie, but sound is coming out on the DVD menu. Any ideas?
Ah... now that sounds like a classic audio controller setup problem. In all likelihood, your preamp is correctly decoding normal PCM audio but NOT Digital Dolby (or DTS), or vice-versa. On many discs, the audio for the menus is "normal" audio but the movie soundtracks are either DTS or Digital Dobly.

You can correct it by either fixing the settings on your preamp, or by changing Kscape's player settings for your preferred audio track. On your installer page you set the player to default to which audio track you prefer (for discs with a choice).

Personally, I think you should tackle this at the preamp level - a system that's "high-end" enough to have a Kaleidescape should be able to properly decode any audio stream thrown at it by a disc. Then you can set your Kscape settings to prefer DTS or DD, whichever it is you like better.

BUT, a faster resolution may be just to change your kscape settings to whichever it is that you know works on your preamp.

--josh

Thanks Josh, changing the setting from DTS to DD or PCM (I don't know what that is?) helped. But is it a programming error why it doesn't output DTS in the Bedroom but it does in the living room?

mawilla said:
Thanks Josh, changing the setting from DTS to DD or PCM (I don't know what that is?) helped. But is it a programming error why it doesn't output DTS in the Bedroom but it does in the living room?

Hard to know for sure... the audio controller in the bedroom is the most likely culprit - either it doesn't handle DTS or it hasn't been properly configured. But your're right that it could be a programming issue on your panel or remote control - your panel or remote may need to trigger something on your audio controller to turn on DTS decode, but most good controllers do it automatically - they sense the bitstream and adjust on their own.

--josh

Josh, I found that DTS doesn't work in the kitchen either. I have highlighted this issue with the installer and they are looking into it, thanks for your help.

mawilla said:
Josh, I found that DTS doesn't work in the kitchen either. I have highlighted this issue with the installer and they are looking into it, thanks for your help.

Hmm... good luck. I'm sure it's something easy to address and would bet that it's not a Kaleidescape issue. Let us know how it turns out,
--josh

Josh, this is the installers response:

"Just had word back from Kaleidescape. Kaleidescape is unable to decode DTS, so it passes it down to the Rotel (my amp)which can. But the L/R out of the Kaleidescape going to all the other rooms will get no audio.

Only fix for this is under the installer menu for the movie player is to change the playback type to dolby instead of DTS."

DD works fine throughout the house so it seems to make sense!

mawilla said:
Josh, this is the installers response:

"Just had word back from Kaleidescape. Kaleidescape is unable to decode DTS, so it passes it down to the Rotel (my amp)which can. But the L/R out of the Kaleidescape going to all the other rooms will get no audio.

Only fix for this is under the installer menu for the movie player is to change the playback type to dolby instead of DTS."

DD works fine throughout the house so it seems to make sense!

Hmmm... well, he's right that the Kaleidescape player supports and passes DTS, but doesn't decode it. Most of us want our audio processors handling that, not the transport devices or DVD players. Kaleidescape passes DTS to your processor as a digital stream. If the player is playing a DTS audio track then I guess it's true that the analog outputs won't have a signal on them. It's an unusual setup to have the analog jacks live and the digital output live from a DVD player feeding different rooms. If you're feeding other rooms, as many of us are, your audio processor or a multiroom controller would normally handle that rather than taking the feed from the analog jacks on the Kscape. (or of course having an additional K Movie Player or Music Player in those rooms which is even better.)

In my setup, there's ONLY a digital connection from the Kaleidescape player going to my processor (a Lexicon). The lexicon feeds the 7.1 speaker setup in my theater, and of course it can play DTS, DD, PCM, anything. The Lexicon can feed 2 additional zones of my house itself, which I sometimes use for music in the dining room. Upstairs I have an additional Movie Player so I can have a different movie or music in the Bedroom and upstairs zones.

I guess we all have different needs and installers tackle things differently, but for me the priority is to have the theater have the best possible sound. Every decision on how to design the zones and components came after that.

So if it matters to you, you may want to ask him to NOT use the analog L+R outputs on the Movie Player and instead feed your other zones from a processor that's capable of decoding DTS and putting it out to other rooms. Not sure if the Rotel can do that. Personally, if it were me, I'd say to him it's not acceptable to not be able to play DTS in the main viewing room.

Good luck!
--josh

Thats all very true. I think because the Rotel doesn't handle multiple outputs the audio distribution is being fed through Crestron audio processors which by the sound of things don't do decode or process DTS. I can have DTS in the living room as 7.1 but in doing so it looks as though, if I then want to view a (DTS encoded) movie in the bedroom, I can not. Unless I change the Kscape setting first.

Somthing worth thinking about when I build the next house!

mawilla said:
Thats all very true. I think because the Rotel doesn't handle multiple outputs the audio distribution is being fed through Crestron audio processors which by the sound of things don't do decode or process DTS. I can have DTS in the living room as 7.1 but in doing so it looks as though, if I then want to view a (DTS encoded) movie in the bedroom, I can not. Unless I change the Kscape setting first.

Somthing worth thinking about when I build the next house!
So you use the same Kscape movie player for the living room as in your bedroom? While I know they're not cheap, the other way to solve the problem is to put a 2nd movieplayer in the bedroom. That's ideal, of course, and you can have separate streams playing in each room, each with its own configuration around preferred audio track, etc.

You might find someone willing to sell you a MoviePlayer1 cheaply so they can get a Movieplayer 2... just an idea. MP1 is all you'd need in the bedroom.
--josh

It was always an intention later on once the system has been established and seeing how good it is to add a 2nd movie player, I'll ask Father Christmas!!!

Hi Mawila - Welcome to the forum!

I haven't seen that issue, but I think it's far more likely to be an issue with the Crestron than with the player since I haven't heard anyone else with that issue. An easy way to check is to use a cheap universal remote control that is set for a Toshiba DVD player and see if you see the same problem. If so, it's in your player, if not, it was in your crestron programming or equipment.

--josh
Did you ever resolve the scrolling problem? I have a new K-scape and Crestron system and it will lock-scroll non-stop after a few clicks in the Movie list section. I am not sure if I need to push K-scape or the Crestron Programmers. Thanks for any experience you can share.

Scott

I get the same thing and I think its Crestron because I never get it with non crestron remotes I have in the house. A long long long time ago I would program Crestron and I believe the problem comes down to a slightly out of range remote control as it gets into range + the fact that the default button press from Crestron would be repeated 4 times + maybe a slightly bogged down Crestron processor. I suggest you try pressing the hard reset on the crestron processor (you need a pen point or paper clip) and wait a minute for it to cycle. Pop the battery out and move the remote closer to the receiver/ transmitter then put the battery back in and see if your problem is resolved.

I'll ditto that. We've had it happen as well. Can be a bit annoying, but it seems after a reset, or after the Crestron has had time to catch its breath, all is well.

Back