• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone else seeing really long boot times?

htroberts

I have a server that seems to take a long time to actually be available on the network (serving its home web page). It seems to take an hour or so before I can get to the UI.

This one is new (refurbished), and I've only actually booted it twice so far (once a week ago to replicate content to it, and again when replication finished to relocate it into its permanent home where the old one was), but I had the same problem with the one it's replacing.

When I had the problem originally with the old server, I called Kaleidescape. Their suggestions were to use the serial console to configure a static address, which I'm using, and to try a different network cable, which also didn't seem to make any difference. I had to get off the phone, and by the time I got back to look at it the next day, it was working okay, and I don't ever reboot it, so I haven't pursued it.

The new server, the one that's slow today, was powered down cleanly (using the front panel button), and I can see from the console boot log that it's up--this is the snippet at the end of the log, from about 3:05pm:

Product id: 3U Server (0x0102)
Video Server started. Version: 5.3.1-13010
Serial number: 000000xxxxxx
Video Server boot flash version: 9
HTTP Proxy Server:
IP Address : 10.0.0.75
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Broadcast Address: 10.0.0.255
Default Gateway : 10.0.0.254
DNS Server #1 : 10.0.0.1
DNS Server #2 : 10.0.0.2
Fan speeds (0,0,0) RPM​

I had link and activity lights on the back of the server, the switchport shows up and connected, and shows some traffic, but not much:

GigabitEthernet2/48 is up, line protocol is up (connected)
Full-duplex, 1000Mb/s, link type is auto, media type is 10/100/1000-TX
5 minute input rate 2000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 2000 bits/sec, 1 packets/sec​

It finally started answering IP scans at 16:23, and seems to be working okay now.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this sort of behavior.

Thanks!

Not seen it but are you using more than one router in your setup if so it is likely that you will need to setup specific address routing between the 2 routers to allow the traffic to flow correctly.

Just a quick thought as normally these kind of issues are down to network device configuration errors.

Two other thoughts: Is 75 a unique address? Did you receive the server on version 5.3.1?

This second one in particular may be more likely, as an updating restart takes a fair bit longer (still shouldn't have been 60-90 minutes though.)

Two other thoughts: Is 75 a unique address? Did you receive the server on version 5.3.1?

This second one in particular may be more likely, as an updating restart takes a fair bit longer (still shouldn't have been 60-90 minutes though.)

Yes, .75 is unique.

I don't know about the as-shipped software version. The system's home page says "Your system upgraded to software version 5.3.1-13010 on December 31", but they always seem to say Dec 31, which makes me think either there's a bug in he update process or the real-time-clock has some sort of issue.

That could be something then. Network connections can get wonky when they think there is a huge time differential.

Back