• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Anyone else hook a player up to a Slingbox (or other placeshifter)?

rgbyhkr

Now, I may be ultra geeky, but I hooked up my Slingbox to one of my movie players a few months back after getting the SlingMobile Beta software. It's a pretty cool way to have access to your collection on the go since K can't really do this themselves. I have a Treo 700w through Verizon with EVDO running the Sling software and the whole setup works pretty well. Obviously, small screen viewing is far from ideal and the IR command issuance delay is a little inconvenient, but it works.

Anyone else setup something siimilar?

Jeff

nice! I have a slingbox for a tivo and it works OK.

Did you just set it up by using the Toshiba DVD remote codes?

josh said:
nice! I have a slingbox for a tivo and it works OK.

Did you just set it up by using the Toshiba DVD remote codes?

Yeah, the Toshiba codes work - can't remember which model number I chose though.

Jeff

I have a network attached device, AVID ??, that takes and s-video feed from one of my players and feeds my wireless Crestron Touchscreen (TPMC-10). Refresh rates are not the best. There's probably a 2-3 second delay. It's ok for showing the Collections dance on the panel.

Do you have to open a whole in your firewall to get to the Slingbox or do you VPN?

regwood said:
Do you have to open a whole in your firewall to get to the Slingbox or do you VPN?

You can do either. The default is openings a port in the router, which the Sling software can do automatically for you if your router supports UPnP device configuration. The software is pretty slick and straightforward to make it easy for the least technical users. If you run tinto snags though, their support is great and the Sling Community forums have lots of users and Sling staff that can help.

Jeff

hometheater said:
I set up on Sony's Location Free system and it works great!

Wow - I'd like to learn more about that. Does the sony thing send back control commands or do you use some other sort of remote? How is the sony base unit connected?

I put a slingbox on mine so I could listen to music at work. I find it quite odd when it has to buffer and adjusts the speed to "catch up" so for music I don't use it and I cannot really watch movies at work. I think the technology of the sling box is a great idea. It just isn't up to par for my standards.

I've got my Slingbox ProHD hooked up to a KScape player 5000 and it works very well. Use the Toshiba SD1200C code, (but make sure in your browser - based KScape settings --> controls, the box for Toshiba is ticked).

Slingbox remains one of the most useful pieces of equipment in my AV room.

I also have a SlingCatcher for a TV in a room that wouldn't be worth buying a whole separate KPlayer for. There's some lag in the device commands, but it's definitely usable and works quite well for when my son wants to watch in that room.

Jeff

Back