• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Any update on the bluray battle?

AnOutsider

Now that I've got a little one that enjoys them, I've been shopping for more bluray kids titles. I wanted to add them to the K, but remembered the whole disc-needs-to-be-in-server issue. I know the digital downloads are to be the solution for this, but the pickings are rather slim when it comes to kid movies. I'd rather have them in K than something locked down like Apple TV or Amazon (unless I can get a version with digital copy included).

So, any update on the battle? Will we always need the vault for bluray?

For kids titles on K, I just use the DVD copy. My kids are too young to appreciate the difference between Blu-ray and SD Dvd at their ages. Also you don't need the physical disk present, and they take up significantly less drive space.

For kids titles on K, I just use the DVD copy. My kids are too young to appreciate the difference between Blu-ray and SD Dvd at their ages. Also you don't need the physical disk present, and they take up significantly less drive space.

Indeed, however I keep coming across great deals and bundles on the bluray copies. Just curious to see if there was any movement.

I believe the requirement that the BR disc be present is not going to change anytime soon, and AFAIK, there are no directed discussions that would change the requirement. I am however hopeful that at some future point we will be able to surrender our physical disc, pay a small fee, and have the right to download the movie from the store. This is only "my" hope, I have no direct knowledge that K is even pursuing this possibility (but they do know many of us would like the option).

Jim

Possibly the best short term hope is that more BR content that is suitable for children becomes available in the download store.

I'd definitely agree that for kids titles, go with DVD versions. Plays anywhere without the disc and takes up 1/5th the server space. And it's not like the kids appreciate the difference in video quality.

quote=josh;12938]............................. And it's not like the kids appreciate the difference in video quality.[/quote]

True for most......but yesterday I had a discussion with my 3 year old Son about "Chroma Upsampling.":D (Starting them early.....:))

Jim

............................. And it's not like the kids appreciate the difference in video quality.

True for most......but yesterday I had a discussion with my 3 year old Son about "Chroma Upsampling.":D (Starting them early.....:))

Jim

Boy, the teachers are going to love him during movie time at pre-school.

Back