• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Any hope for Kaleidescape to carry 3-D versions of movies?

Rengozu

Apologizes if it's been asked and answered why, but the search function didn't pull up anything when I attempted.

I know it's a dying format for many, but for lots of us being movieroom enthusiasts, I'd love if they had 3-D upgrade options for movies. Getting harder to even find the discs in the US and have to import for lots of titles not available to us. Too many big blockbusters, like the Marvel movies, that I still like to enjoy this way and would think Kaleidescape should be an easy way for one to be able to access this with all the new immersive sound available. (Sure beats remuxing them all yourself!)

So yea, give me Gravity in 3-D with Atmos please. :)

Keep wishing... I doubt it will ever happen considering it is a dying format that never really caught on for most.

...and Dune...

But andy's right. We'll likely have to continue to seek other solutions for 3D.

Not a chance, unfortunately. They weren't interested back when the format was popular, so I don't see them supporting it now that it's on life support.....and the Doctor's slowly walking toward the room to pull the plug.

Those of us with 3D collections will have to settle for physical disc playback.

Jim

Well that sucks. Guess just wishful thinking that an item like this could also specialize in this area for the enthusiasts that may still use this feature with their projectors. Same as I'd like if they got the IMAX ratio cuts that sometimes aren't available on discs.

Just to be clear, I don't speak for K, I'm providing my opinion based on past conversations, but I've heard enough in the past to make it clear to me there's no chance that 3D will be supported. Obviously only K can confirm their intentions in this regard.

(Trying to give you (us) a little hope!:))

Jim

Just to be clear, I don't speak for K, I'm providing my opinion based on past conversations, but I've heard enough in the past to make it clear to me there's no chance that 3D will be supported. Obviously only K can confirm their intentions in this regard.

(Trying to give you (us) a little hope!:))

Jim

lol, yea yea, no doubt. Maybe they'll see this and change their mind.

Don't know if it would need anything more from a technical standpoint, but wouldn't think it should be too much trouble to license these options for movies they already have the rights to use on their service. Oh well, guess I'll keep dreaming. :)

I've always been told it also requires a hardware change to accommodate 3D, software alone can't get it done. (Maybe an extra chip on a board??)

Jim

Over the years I've actually had several potential K owners decide against ownership based on lack of 3D alone. These potential owners have collections exceeding 400+ 3D movies, and they decided if they had to put a 3D movie in a tray for playback anyway, they didn't want to spend the money to accommodate only half their collections. The industry may have turned its back on 3D content, but not before selling 1000+ movies and short films.

3D isn't actually "dead," although with most flat panel manufacturers leaving it off of their latest models (I think LG's OLED's a few years ago still offered it), mid-to-high end projectors still have 3D capability (including JVC's latest NZ models).

In addition, you can expect to see new 3D movies being released in the coming years, one example is the Avatar series. Av2 is expected in 2024, followed by Av3 in 2026, and Av4 in 2028, and JC has all of these planned in 3D. This series is one of the few that was actually shot with 3D camera systems (dual, side-by-side) which is why it looks so much better than many 3D movies that were shot in 2D and later converted to 3D (this might be one of the reasons 3D popularity declined for some folks, "real" 3D, played back on good systems is excellent).

Jim

@MikeKobb can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that he stated in the past that the Strato hardware supports 3D.

Obviously, there would still be a big software/firmware effort to make it work, so it seems incredibly unlikely. This doesn’t even consider the support from the studios. They might not be willing to give 3D files to K.

Can you stream 3D titles from any of the major streaming services? K gets their mezzanine data from the digital content team of the studios, not the physical media team. Just due to this fact, it is not possible to source 3D content even if the hardware/software supported it.

The premiere systems could use 3D discs but that boat has sailed on when the premiere line got discontinued.

Can you stream 3D titles from any of the major streaming services? K gets their mezzanine data from the digital content team of the studios, not the physical media team. Just due to this fact, it is not possible to source 3D content even if the hardware/software supported it.

The premiere systems could use 3D discs but that boat has sailed on when the premiere line got discontinued.
Actually the Premiere system did not/does not support 3D discs. They can be imported, and if there's a 2D version of the movie on the disc, that version can be played. That was a hardware limitation.

Vudu looks to have about 75 titles in 3D. Not to get into the whole Walmart > Kaleidescape issue, but as far as content existence, yes.

It really kinda pisses me off that 4K 3D doesn't exist... Not from an HDMI standpoint, at least... I can understand the physical disc limitations, but if Kaleidescape could be the ONLY source for 3D movies in 4K, that would be amazing!!!

It would likely require the Kscape device to communicate directly with the 3D glasses, since the only HDMI formats for 3D are 1080p (at least that's how my JVC projector is).

4K + HDR + 3D would be an absolutely incredible combo...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Back