• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Another Kinda Out of Warranty Question (or two)

Calm-One

With the 3U restored from the other thread I thought I would treat myself to a storage upgrade to 6TB drives as the original 3TB have about three+ years of spinning spindles and should be rotated out.

BUT...

I went to replace a 3TB with a new 6TB and the 6TB would not seat as far back as I thought. It was not detected. If I apply slight finger pressure it will light up but as soon as I release the 6TB goes dark.

Has anyone else had this issue before? I could simply open another box and repeat, but if there is a comparability problem or something else awry, unopened product will be easier to RMA.

In full disclosure I do have a call into support, just waiting on the call back.

Lastly, my plan was, to replace the 3TBs one at a time until RAID was fully resynced (over night - one a day), and proceed one at a time through the remaining drives. I realize that two disks failing concurrently would cause me to have to rescan what is in the disk carousel and be a downloadapalooza to get fully restored. I imagine the final drive would become the online spare. I have staff who do this in IT disk arrays with EMC/Dell, HP, and NetApp in data centers often enough with sensitive data for the business. But other posts on this forum seem to dislike the concept of breaking RAID.

Thoughts?

Cheers

First, be sure the locking tab at the top front of the drive moves up and down freely when you push the K Logo button. If it doesn't, it may not be locking the drive in place when you insert it. If it sticks, you can loosen it by removing the front White cover and turning the screw counter-clockwise. If that's not the problem then maybe the connector in the rear is defective, but that's unusual.

Regarding the single drive swap, the first two 6TB's you add will be allocated to RAID, and Hot Spare, it's not the last drive inserted as you mentioned. You only gain the storage additional storage of the difference between the 6TB and the drive you are replacing (in general) with the first two larger drives.

Jim

It's been a while since I had to feed the beast, but my recollection is the 6Ts did take a bit more effort to seat compared to prior disks. None required adjusting the tab, but I may have just tried a different slot instead.

I hope this thread end note helps the next guy.

After talking with support and this groups feedback...

Support said the drive staying in place was a matter of "wiggling" the drive into place. While it was probably good advice, it did not work for me per se. Setting the drive 80% into the drive bay and letting it "warm up" in the active unit seemed to work better. For a cold unit support's advice would have probably worked. Your mileage may be vary on this; but support said many support tickets occur due to replacement or additional drives needing "english" to be placed into the drive bay.

Support seemed fine with the plan of a one at a time approach; not one negative word. Advice was given that they saw no drive errors in my chassis and mentioned more longer use of the 3TBs could be realized. I do have data center hosting customers with both 3 year and 5 year equipment rotation and am familiar with the arguments either way. The 3U array was confirmed as supporting online disk replacement which is good.

Support mentioned that a drive bay has to be empty for two minutes before a replacement can be presented.

Support also mentioned that replicating a replacement drive in a day was probably unrealistic. Actual time was "no time" for the online spare. An add on took "no time" to become part of the array (this was surprising). A replacement of an existing drive, took about 60 hours to get to 100%.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back