• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Another broken 3U server

cyeung

Hi all,
My manager has a 3U unit server that has an amber light on it. Kscape was suppose to swap it out and transfer all the movies (including family movies) in there to the new unit, now that they are going out of business, is there any way he can get his family video out of the kscape server? Any suggestion would be great.

Thanks
Connor

Probably not. Best to sit tight and hope someone buys and reopens K.

Pretty much everything about the K filesystem is encrypted and proprietary. Easy button is to let the dust settle. If things seem bleak in a few weeks, I'd expect folks will get fired up about reverse engineering things a bit more than they have been in the past and something *might* happen. Until then, well, you're SOL.

--Donnie

That is correct, once the content is on the K drives, it cannot be retrieved (other than to copy it to another K drive).

Jim

I was wondering, would it be possible to get a USE 3U server on like ebay or something and remove the hard drive from his old server and put it into a working 3U server, would that be a technically work? I'm just trying to think outside the box since he has all his family video inside the server (Biggest mistake he ever done)

The family videos can only be loaded via a physical DVD or Blu-ray, so he should still have the original physical disc, does he not?

Unfortunately the case is , he moved and he lost all the family dvd including his son and daughter early childhood which is why he wants to find a solution so bad.

If the disk set is working, it could be put into a working chassis, the content played back and the video output of a player input to a audio/video capture device (e.g. a DVD recorder) and the video could be extracted that way.

I was wondering, would it be possible to get a USE 3U server on like ebay or something and remove the hard drive from his old server and put it into a working 3U server, would that be a technically work? I'm just trying to think outside the box since he has all his family video inside the server (Biggest mistake he ever done)

Absolutely positively not. K drives won't work in anything but a K system.

As was stated, if it's the 3U chassis that's bad, the drives could be put in another K 3U server and should come back to life. I still don't know there's any way to retrieve the home movies from it, however. Sounds like K was working on helping with a solution for that, which only they could do but SHOULD be possible since the data wasn't ever encrypted in the first place (like a copyright DVD would have been). Sit tight, things could still work out to get K's doors fully open again.

--Donnie

Do a serial capture on the server and look to see if you see the IP stack information, or it goes into a reboot loop with FE=5700011 (something ending with 0011) if so it is QUARANTINED, usually the server chassis, but could be the disk set. If it's the disk set, nothing can be done, if it's the chassis, the disks will work properly in a different K 3U chassis(KSERVER-5000)

Reply to Thread

Hey thanks for stepping up and helping us out.
It always helps when we get good information.
In these times it's nice to see everyone steeping up and helping out:)

Sorry to hear about this situation.

One thought, in the event that you're able to get to a state where the videos are playable: because these were self-produced videos, the discs from which they were imported will not have been copy protected. This means that when you play the imported videos, HDCP copy protection should not be enabled on the HDMI output.

There are some pretty nice, inexpensive HDMI capture devices available that would allow you to record that HDMI output onto a computer. They don't work with copy-protected HDMI, of course, but with home videos, they should work fine. This is probably the highest-quality solution possible for getting those videos backed up onto some other medium.

I wish you good luck!

Back