• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alto + Strato

bytebuster

Folks,
I currently have an Alto. When I add a Strato later on, will a consolidated library show up on each player. Of course I am assuming that both the players will be on the same network. And I presume we would be able to play the movies on the Alto from the Strato and vice versa

Alto and Strato can be grouped together. The content on each device will appear as a single, consolidated library.

Keep in mind, however, that 4K UHD content will not be playable (or even visible) on the Alto.

Thanks John. At that point I would use the strato as the main player and use the alto as additional 6TB storage.
K should really consider selling a drive less alto. Would be a viable alternative for adding storage in 6TB increments

Hi everyone. Let me clarify something.

If you have a system that has an Alto and a Strato, 4K Ultra HD content will only be stored on the Strato. This is due to the copy protection requirements of 4K Ultra HD content, and to performance considerations with 4K Ultra HD's higher data rates. In a blended system like that, Blu-ray quality downloads will be routed to the Alto until it fills up, to ensure that the Strato's storage is left free for 4K Ultra HD content.

These considerations are going to be covered in a forthcoming Encore System Design Guide, but since I was seeing folks discussing using an Alto as storage expansion, I wanted to be sure you understand this consideration.

Great insight, Mike. Your explanation raised another question for me. Since someone forgot to include a disc slot on the Strato, we don't have the option of inserting a DVD or BD in that player, thus getting a Digital Offer for UHD directly.

I wonder, if we inserted a DVD or BD into an Alto that was tied in with a Strato in the same system, if we would get that opportunity, assuming there was a Digital Offer for UHD on the title in question? The physical disc drive is present in the system, in this case, but not in the player that's capable of UHD storage and/or playback.

Hi HiFiGuy,

Dang, where did I put that disc slot...

Yes, if you put the disc into the Alto, you should see the digital offers that your system can download (not just offers that apply to that player). So, you would see the 4K Ultra HD upgrade offer if one is available.

Of course, if you catalog the disc, you will also see those offers on the Movie Store.

Mike will there be a standalone 4K player, similar to the M300, which won't have a built in hard drive at a lower price points so people can use a Stato or Terra in their system to stream to the stand alone units?

The strato is available without a hard drive. I would suggest that is the equivalent of the M300 you are looking for.

Sent from my X9076 using Tapatalk

Agree with the post above, and for now that is the only solution. The size is the only issue when installing with limited space. As to will there ever be a smaller footprint 4K, I'll let K answer, but I don't believe anything is being planned.

Jim

Spizzy, if memory serves, the Strato without storage is only $500 more than the M300 sold for, so with the added capability of UHD/4K, that's a strong value, as well.

Also, if you have other rooms that need playback of DVD or Blu-ray only, you could get an Alto with no storage, but WITH a drive for DVD/Blu-ray, for $700 LESS than the M300. Now THAT is progress!

Back