• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alto - Strato - Terra Questions

tnedator

I started to post my questions in one of the recent threads asking similar questions, but didn't want to hijack those threads and didn't quite see my questions answered.

I have an Alto w/4TB drive, and am getting frustrated by juggling content. Constantly deleting content for new movies. So, it's time to expand.

Questions.

1. If I add a Terra server, will it still use my internal drive plus the 12 or 24 TB (based on what I've read, I think this is the case. I won't be wasting the current internal storage).

2. If I start with the 12 TB Terra, can I add two more 6TB drives later (I know they would have to be KScape cartridges) or if I want to expand beyond 12 TB do I have to buy another Terra? What is the MSRP of the 12 TB expansion if it's possible?

3. Based on prices I've seen, assuming the internal storage is additive to the Terra, if I get a Strato, it's much cheaper to get the 6TB internal storage, as compared to the equivalent Terra (meaning it's much less than half the price of the Terra and therefore seems like it makes sense).

4. I was told once that Kscape has upgrade programs. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade option to go from my Alto to a Strato?

Thanks

Questions.

1. If I add a Terra server, will it still use my internal drive plus the 12 or 24 TB (based on what I've read, I think this is the case. I won't be wasting the current internal storage).

Yes. If you buy the 12 TB Terra, your total system storage will be 16 TB (12 from the Terra and 4 from your Alto).

2. If I start with the 12 TB Terra, can I add two more 6TB drives later (I know they would have to be KScape cartridges) or if I want to expand beyond 12 TB do I have to buy another Terra? What is the MSRP of the 12 TB expansion if it's possible?

The 12 TB Terra has two empty disk slots. You can add a 6 TB disk cartridge to each of those slots. Each 6 TB cartridge has an MSRP of US$995.

3. Based on prices I've seen, assuming the internal storage is additive to the Terra, if I get a Strato, it's much cheaper to get the 6TB internal storage, as compared to the equivalent Terra (meaning it's much less than half the price of the Terra and therefore seems like it makes sense).

Adding a Strato would, indeed get you another 6 TB of storage space (along with a 4K UHD-capable playback zone) for your system. However, you would have to buy two Stratos to get the 12 TB of storage that the base configuration Terra would give you and two Stratos will cost significantly more than a 12 TB Terra.

4. I was told once that Kscape has upgrade programs. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade option to go from my Alto to a Strato?

I'm in the Engineering office and not privy to all of the available trade-up programs in effect so I'll let Mike or one of our Dealers answer this last question.

An Alto to Strato trade up promo may eventually be available, but it is not currently listed as an option in the Promotions available from K.

Jim

If I had a Strato and an Alto in the same system, and had memory available on both... where would a download go to if i bought something from the store? As in- can I prioritize where I want downloads to go? Say I wanted to leave my Strato as open as possible for UHD content and fill the Alto with Bluray.

You could temporarily take the Strato off-line (unplug the Cat cable) during the ordering/download process to insure the content goes to the Alto.

Jim

If you have an Alto and a Strato in the same system, and you download a Blu-ray quality or DVD quality movie, the system will automatically route those movies to the Alto if it has space. It tries to keep the Strato's storage available for UHD content.

If you have an Alto and a Strato in the same system, and you download a Blu-ray quality or DVD quality movie, the system will automatically route those movies to the Alto if it has space. It tries to keep the Strato's storage available for UHD content.
Actually, that is not the case with my Alto and Strato in the same system. My Alto has space for at least one more Blu-ray quality movie, but none have been downloaded to it since I added my Strato. All downloads of any quality only go to the Strato.

I previously shared this information with Kaleidescape back in April, and I was told someone would look into it. I have never heard anything further.

Sorry if we didn't follow up with you. We investigated your report and found a bug in the download service. The bug didn't affect all systems, which is why we missed it in testing, but it's fixed now and will be deployed to production sometime in the not too distant future.

It's definitely true in general that the system will do its best to save space on the Strato for UHD movies.

Sorry if we didn't follow up with you. Have you tried this recently? We fixed a bug in the download service that should have resulted in downloads going to your Alto now. It's definitely true in general that the system will do its best to save space on the Strato for UHD movies.

I haven't tried a Blu-ray quality download in the past month as we have been traveling. I will try one soon and report back.

Thanks for the quick response.

I was editing my reply while you were replying, it looks like. I didn't realize we haven't yet deployed the version with the fix in it, but it's coming! Should be resolved pretty soon.

I was editing my reply while you were replying, it looks like. I didn't realize we haven't yet deployed the version with the fix in it, but it's coming! Should be resolved pretty soon.
Sounds good! Thanks, Mike!

If I had a Strato and an Alto in the same system, and had memory available on both... where would a download go to if i bought something from the store? As in- can I prioritize where I want downloads to go? Say I wanted to leave my Strato as open as possible for UHD content and fill the Alto with Bluray.

Based on Mike's comment it sounds as though that will now happen automatically, so no need to take Strato offline.:)

Jim

Back