• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alto not reading BDs and some DVDs

I wanted to experiment with K and recently bought a used Alto. Importing my disc collection has not gone smoothly. Approximately 1/3 DVDs and all BDs are not being read. I mostly get the first error, more rarely the second one.

All the disks are US region, clean and pristine - no scratches or dirt. I tried cleaning the optical lens with the Endust cleaner - not much improvement. The cleaning disk is being ejected very quickly - is there a way to have it play longer?

K support sent the following:

The logs for the Alto do show 30 instances of where it was unable to read the inserted disc and displayed the message "The inserted disc is not a DVD or a Blu-ray disc."

I also show 23 DVD's were successfully catalogued on the Alto in the past 4 days.

Not reading - either there is dust/dirt on the laser preventing the disc from being read or the optical drive is failing. If it is dirt/dust - often a laser cleaning disc (the type with the brushes on the bottom) may correct the issue.

Any suggestions? Is the Alto optical drive replaceable?

Attachments

• IMG_2264.jpeg
    IMG_2264.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
The disc drive in the Alto is notoriously bad. I have a couple Alto's. One drive now completely does not work. The other works most of the time but the disc will get stuck and not read sometimes. It's very frustrating for such expensive hardware.

I had the same issue, and ended up opening the Alto to clean out everything INSIDE. After that, my success rate went up drastically.
That said, I still clean every disc before I insert it, and some still fail.

I looked for a new drive about a year ago, but couldn't find one.

Thanks for all the advice. At this point I've been able to import about 90% of my DVDs and BDs via the Alto. I'm calling it a success.

I used this drive cleaner as well as compressed air that I briefly blew into the ODD slot.

Some disks needed to be cajoled into being recognized - first they wouldn't, but a quick brush of the disk itself and a shot of compressed air into the ODD slot would help.

Then there are the weirdnesses of some of the disks from a multi-disk collectors pack not being recognized - like the first Godfather movie not working, but disks 2 and 3 working just fine. Some not being recognized were brand new, still in shrink wrap.

Back