• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alto + Disk Server

When you select the movie, it will tell you that there are 2 discs (or more) in the disc server covering all of the content. Depending on what you select to watch (movie, special features, etc.), it will load the appropriate disk. Good luck! SJ

Does it matter what order the discs are loaded up especially?

Thanks for the insight! Rally helping with the planning here :) Am excited to see it all in action :)

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. I've never even thought about the order and just inserted away......

No, as SJHT indicated, it does not matter.

Jim

It does make adding the UPC/indexing information easier (if unrecognized,) so that you can enter the correct information without having to guess which disc is which. No impact on playback.

I have had an Alto for about a year and have ordered the DV700. I was planning on using the ability of the Alto to perform the equivalent of the vertical stretch of my PJ and keep the anamorphic lens in place all of the time. However, I tried to watch a movie the other day by inserting the disc into the slot on the Alto and the function did not work correctly. Any idea what may be going on?

Will movies I watch from the DV700 have the ability to be vertically stretched?

PS: I know Kaleidescape does not call if "vertical stretch" but it performs a similar function.

Hi. The feature you're referring to is called CinemaScape. It definitely works with discs played from the disc slot or the Disc Server. You need to ensure that you've done two things.

1) Be sure CinemaScape is turned on! This is in the browser interface, on the Settings tab. Click the Settings button that's in the group of information and controls for your Alto. This opens a second window, which defaults to the Video settings tab. Scroll down to find the CinemaScape settings. Since you've said you want to leave the lens in place all the time, that would be CinemaScape 2.35 Anamorphic.

2) The disc must have been bookmarked by Kaleidescape. This is necessary because one of the things we do during bookmarking is to record the movie's aspect ratio. Without that information, CinemaScape can't apply the necessary scaling. There's currently no way to enter this information yourself. When you open the details sheet for the window in the onscreen display, if you only see a "Play Disc" menu item, then the disc has not been bookmarked. If you see "Play Movie", "Play All Episodes", "Play Concert", etc., it has been.

I hope this answers your question!

Just wanted to check back in here, I installed my Disc Server and Alto today and all is working 100% as expected!

Hi. The feature you're referring to is called CinemaScape. It definitely works with discs played from the disc slot or the Disc Server. You need to ensure that you've done two things.

1) Be sure CinemaScape is turned on! This is in the browser interface, on the Settings tab. Click the Settings button that's in the group of information and controls for your Alto. This opens a second window, which defaults to the Video settings tab. Scroll down to find the CinemaScape settings. Since you've said you want to leave the lens in place all the time, that would be CinemaScape 2.35 Anamorphic.

2) The disc must have been bookmarked by Kaleidescape. This is necessary because one of the things we do during bookmarking is to record the movie's aspect ratio. Without that information, CinemaScape can't apply the necessary scaling. There's currently no way to enter this information yourself. When you open the details sheet for the window in the onscreen display, if you only see a "Play Disc" menu item, then the disc has not been bookmarked. If you see "Play Movie", "Play All Episodes", "Play Concert", etc., it has been.

I hope this answers your question!

Thanks. It definitely answers my questions. That makes perfect sense. I had done number (1) but did not do (2). I just stuck it in the disc and hit play.

I have just installed a DV700 and now most of the discs I can ever reasonably expect to watch are either on the Alto or DV700. So this should not be an issue again. [OT: The DV700 is a BEAST. It must have mostly metal (vs plastic) parts]

Now we just need to get the studios to cooperate; get access to the DV700 from a Strato AND provide some way to play 4K discs that are not on the K store (either a drive in the Strato or a DV700 for 4K). I understand you have little control over the first and no plans for the last - but Oh Well !!

Last edited:
To be clear, even if you insert a disc into the Alto's disc slot, CinemaScape should work. The necessary factor is that the disc has been bookmarked by Kaleidescape, and that that information is therefore in our database. It's possible that the disc you tried has not been bookmarked.

To be clear, even if you insert a disc into the Alto's disc slot, CinemaScape should work. The necessary factor is that the disc has been bookmarked by Kaleidescape, and that that information is therefore in our database. It's possible that the disc you tried has not been bookmarked.

Is there a way to tell upon inserting the disc?

Yes indeed. When you open the details sheet for the movie in the onscreen display (including the details sheet that auto-opens when you insert a disc in the slot), if you only see a "Play Disc" menu item, then the disc has not been bookmarked. If you see "Play Movie", "Play All Episodes", "Play Concert", etc., it has been.

Thanks.

New question. I am trying to find a way to extract a list of all of the movies on the Alto plus all of the movies on the DV700. I can download a spreadsheet from the IP address page to get a list of ALL movies I have cataloged and sort them by media type to get those on the Alto. I can not find any connotation to determine which of the others are on the DV700.

I am aware that I can look at the list on the IP page to see what is loaded onto the DV700 but there is no ability to download a spreadsheet which would therefore require me to manually keep track of this - which won't happen.

Thanks

You cannot download a spreadsheet, but it doesn't require too much effort to copy-paste the Vault tab (presuming Encore WGUI has one) into an Excel sheet. By which I mean it correctly put everything in columns, rather than slamming everything into Column A, and then you can de-hyperlink the titles. (I don't recall it being hard to remove the checkboxes either.)

Once that is done, you can format the columns to match (I just added four columns between A and B,) combine the content with a regular library export, and sort by title.

Small question too - all working well, and have availed of the disc to digital options on some titles - I assume if I do so, the Strato can then play those (HD) digital versions, rather than needing the BD itself in the disc server?

Small question too - all working well, and have availed of the disc to digital options on some titles - I assume if I do so, the Strato can then play those (HD) digital versions, rather than needing the BD itself in the disc server?

That's correct,

Back