• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Alien Director's Cut Audio Issue

leo9000

I was watching Alien, the director's cut last night and In chapter 16, as Ripley is in the shuttle and the countdown to self destruct is counting down from 30, the audio drops out at 22. I checked the theatrical version and the audio is fine. I thought it might be an issue with my download, so I deleted the file and re-download. I played the scene again, and the audio dropped again at the same point. It goes 24, 23, Drop, 21, 20, etc. Has anyone else noted this issue with their copy of Alien?

Which resolution & audio stream were you using? I tried the HDR copy with DTS-MA 5.1, and while there seemed to be a momentary drop between 23 & 22, I still heard all of 22 be announced.

Which resolution & audio stream were you using? I tried the HDR copy with DTS-MA 5.1, and while there seemed to be a momentary drop between 23 & 22, I still heard all of 22 be announced.
The HDR version with DTS-MA 5.1. The drop on my system cuts out 22 completely.

I tested as well on HDR Director’s cut in DTS-HD 5.1 but didn’t hear any drop during the countdown or on 22.

Great scene in HDR by the way!

I tried both Director's Cut and Theatrical on my HDR download of Alien. I didn't get any audio disruption during the countdown. I also double-checked to make sure that I didn't have an update pending for that film, but I have the latest version.

For you guys who heard something, which audio processor(s) are you using? Perhaps there's something in the audio stream that is tripping up only certain processors? I am using a Trinnov Altitude.

I tried both Director's Cut and Theatrical on my HDR download of Alien. I didn't get any audio disruption during the countdown. I also double-checked to make sure that I didn't have an update pending for that film, but I have the latest version.

For you guys who heard something, which audio processor(s) are you using? Perhaps there's something in the audio stream that is tripping up only certain processors? I am using a Trinnov Altitude.
Thanks for checking Mike. I'm using the Denon AVR-X1700H receiver. I haven't had any other issues with audio playing back of other movies on my Kaleidescape system. It just seems to be this movie and only at that one point in the film.

For science I ran the scene again, and I feel like the drop(s) were shorter than the one test Monday, but still have a drop between 23 & 22. I then skipped back and ran it again in DTS-stereo without dropping, so I rewound and tried DTS-MA but it dropped-out again.

I am using a Pioneer SC-LX704.

Are you guys both sending bitstream output to your processors (as opposed to player-decode)?

Yes. I just switched to player-decode and ran it again. The volume dipped super-low but never cut-out this time.

Huh. For reference, I'm using bitstream to the Altitude. I've asked the team to take a look.

I was watching Alien, the director's cut last night and In chapter 16, as Ripley is in the shuttle and the countdown to self destruct is counting down from 30, the audio drops out at 22. I checked the theatrical version and the audio is fine. I thought it might be an issue with my download, so I deleted the file and re-download. I played the scene again, and the audio dropped again at the same point. It goes 24, 23, Drop, 21, 20, etc. Has anyone else noted this issue with their copy of Alien?
This could be an HDMI cable data bandwidth issue. Are you using cables longer than 3m and are they good quality and rated for 4K/60? Also try unplugging and plugging in 3x at each end.

You always want bitstream. You don’t want the Kaleidoscape to decode the audio.

Unless you're connecting directly to a flat panel (no Receiver or Processor in the chain).

Jim

This could be an HDMI cable data bandwidth issue. Are you using cables longer than 3m and are they good quality and rated for 4K/60? Also try unplugging and plugging in 3x at each end.
The cable is longer than 3m, but it is a high quality fiber optic cable rated for 4K/120Hz. Also, if it were a cable issue, why would it only happen on one movie on one scene (where other's have seen similar issues) an not on any other movie?

Back