• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

AirPlay Support

SimonSays

KScape doesn't sell TVs, Projectors or AV processors, so if we output to HDMI or AirPlay shouldn't make a difference to the number of devices K will sell.
But seeing AppleTV and AirPods MAX support HDR, Dolby Atmos and so on, why not allow us to use any of these.
And most importantly, the new Apple Vision Pro announced today would allow us to have a ginormous virtual screen, plus Spatial Sound.

If nothing else, being able to output sound to AirPods MAX over AirPlay would be a big plus, for those times I need to turn down the volume because everyone else is asleep...

I think AirPlay (AirPlay 2 now I think) supports 4K HDR and Atmos, so I'm curious if it's technically possible, and also if yes, when we could get it.

I'm sure plenty of customers would pay for a license to activate it.

Thoughts?

I like it, and agree it would help with late night viewing outside my theater, but sure what is involved in offering that capability.

Jim

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a device not from Apple that is an AirPlay "source." All the non-Apple products I've seen that support AirPlay are receivers, playing back content that is being sent from an Apple device. I'm not sure that Apple supports third parties acting as AirPlay sources.

I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever seen a device not from Apple that is an AirPlay "source." All the non-Apple products I've seen that support AirPlay are receivers, playing back content that is being sent from an Apple device. I'm not sure that Apple supports third parties acting as AirPlay sources.
I believe there's an AirPlay app for Android phones, so it must be possible at least under certain conditions?
Perhaps the DEV team can discuss with their Apple contacts?

My understanding is that those apps are reverse-engineered implementations of the older AirPlay 1 protocol. I don't think there is official support for any non-Apple devices to use AirPlay 2.

My understanding is that those apps are reverse-engineered implementations of the older AirPlay 1 protocol. I don't think there is official support for any non-Apple devices to use AirPlay 2.
Quite possible. Given the use case, the Apple people may be OK to provide you with an SDK to build the integration. And maybe, to drive adoption of their new VisionPro, they may want to support more devices outside of the Apple EcoSystem, such as Android phones, Windows computers, and why not other video devices such as KScape? Won't hurt to ask and get the conversation started :)

AirPlay is a lossy and compressed communication protocol. It defeats the purpose of Kaleidescape. I would rather like to see Kaleidescape spend their resources on adding more content to the store.

Back