• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Advice on Lord of the Rings Movies

Hagman62

New owner who just finished cataloging his discs. The Hobbit and LOTR movies are available for $4.92 for either regular or extended versions. I have only seen regular versions on discs. Any recommendations on whether to go with regular or extended?

The extended editions are much better. The added scenes help to flesh out the characters and story.

Always EV when available. Why not?

Jim

The only thing I would say for the Theatrical version vs extended is that we never quite get around to watching that many 4 hour movies. Partly because finding 4 waking hours in the day remains demanding despite retirement and partly because the thought of 4 hours watching one movie can be a little daunting. Whenever we do it, the time always flashes by

Fair enough if the EV adds a lot of time, but most EV releases I've encountered seem to be in the 10 - 30 min. range. I always order them regardless, so frankly haven't checked the added times for LOTR and series.

Jim

TBH I still end up buying the extended versions because I don't want to miss out on anything :) - humans are weird huh ? :)

I love the extended versions but I'm not sure they are actually *better* movies. As a fan, I want as much as I can, but the narrative flow of the theatrical releases is, in my view, tighter, and when I watch these movies with more casual fans I reach for the theatrical versions.

Question on D2D regarding this. If I buy the extended versions at D2D price, would I be able to later also buy the theatrical at D2D price?

Peter Jackson considers the Theatrical versions to be "definitive." (Notice they're called "Extended" not "Director's Cut".) However, Peter Jackson is wrong! The added material is quite superb, in some cases explaining things that may otherwise just go over our heads. (One big example for me is the Mouth of Sauron scene. When he informs the Fellowship that Frodo is dead and shows them the Mithril armor, the Fellowship is now convinced everything is lost. And when Aragorn says "For Frodo" and they attack, they believe there is no hope and they are literally going to their deaths. It gives that final confrontation so much more weight and pathos. So when Mount Doom collapses, it comes as a real shock because they believed Frodo failed. If Mouth of Sauron scene is missing, they still believe Frodo has a chance and they are just buying him more time - vs. going to their deaths. There are other examples like this. I think these additional scenes are really invaluable and make the movies much much much much much better.)

However, as far as "The Hobbit" is concerned...well, the shorter the better, I suppose. :)

Back