• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

Advice on cartridge replacement.

Steve

Hello,

I have a 1U server with four 750GB cartridges, recently one failed (luckily just still inside the warranty) and was replaced free by my dealer. My questions is, what would have been the cheapest way to have replaced the cartridge if it had fallen outside of the warranty?

Within the warranty period on your system (two years unless you purchased an extended warranty), K will replace the defective disk at no cost to you.

Your cost outside of warranty is obviously based on purchasing a "new" versus a "used" disk. If new, you would order from K (the only source for new disks) and pay whatever price was set by your dealer. Although some dealer's offer a small discount on disks, most charge full MSRP (from what fellow dealer's have told me), usually because they actually go to the client's location and install the disks. Some actually charge a small fee to do this if outside warranty.

You can sometimes buy "used"" if you can find an owner upgrading to larger disks. This forum has a couple of owner's doing that now. Prices are obviously determined by the seller, but are certainly market driven. Used disks that have been in someone else's system must be "reintialized" before they can be installed in a different Server. This requires sending the disks to K and paying a fee to have the disks reinitialized. There is also the warranty to consider when buying used. There may be no warranty, or there may be some period of time remaining on an existing warranty. If there is time remaining, then the warranty on the disk(s) can be extended further (assuming the period does not exceed 5 years in total).

So...used disks are usually less expensive, but you should consider the warranty issues AND you should also price out the per GB/TB cost of buying used (usually less storage) versus buying a larger new disk, along with the Server space consideration (only one space needed for 2TB of storage with a 2TB disk, versus two spaces for 2TB of storage using 1TB disks).

Jim

Last edited:
The other consideration when buying a new 2TB disc to replace a failed 750GB/1TB disc in a 1U server is (I stand to be corrected) the larger size disc doesn't give you any extra storage capacity because ultimately your storage capacity is determined by the size of the smallest disc in the server. Which in this case is 750GB. I think there are subtle differences between using a 2TB in this configuration, like more space for storing parity information, but you don't end up with more content storage capacity by putting a new 2TB disc in a 1U with a failed disc (removed) and three good 750GB/1TB discs. Again, I stand to be corrected on any of this.

I would like to know, however, the latest rumors in KEAOS development where you might be able to replicate content in a 1U server without needing another. Hence an easy way for an owner to swap out four full 1TB discs for three 2TB discs, or four full 750GB discs for two 2TB discs, etc.

Last edited:
That's mostly correct, but the storage capacity is not determined by the smallest sized disk UNLESS you happen to have only one disk in your system larger than the remaining disks AND those remaining disks are all the same size. (i.e. adding one 1TB (or one 2TB) disk to a Server containing six 750's). In this case, YES, the 1TB (or 2TB) disk addition would only result in a net 750GB of storage because the 1U Server allocates the remaining storage to RAID (the RAID allocation must be the same as the largest disk in the system, for obvious reasons).

Another example: You could have a 1U Server with two 1TB disks and one 750GB disk, and you add one 2TB disk. When you add the 2TB disk you would only be adding 1TB of storage, not 2TB, because the Server will allocate 2TB to RAID (to match the largest drive in the system). The 750GB (smallest disk in the system) is not a factor.

It is correct that adding only one 2TB disk to a Server containing smaller sized disks will not result in the full storage value of the 2TB disk.

Cannot comment on the rumor.:)

Jim

the latest rumors in KEAOS development where you might be able to replicate content in a 1U server without needing another.

Wow that would be very cool! And hey, maybe that would stem across to the 3U :) That could put a little more control in the hands of the end user and take alot of the hassles out of physically removing the server!
That would be a smart move from K, could generate new disks sales.

Rgds

Panamar

Thanks you for your prompt replies. Some fascinating answers.

The cartridge on my system failed two months before the warranty expired (2 year warranty I believe) , in your opinion, how likely are cartridges to fail?

I have been given a pricing list by dealer to extend the warranty, and wondered, if people generally take up this option, or, prepare for the inevitability of a failed cartridge by purchasing a reinitialized one at a cheaper price before the cartridge fails.

PS The first cartridge sent by Kaleidescape only loaded to 9% on the system before 'freezing' as it got damaged internally during transit (are they that delicate that this is a major factor when buying a reinitialized disc also?)

Thanks you for your prompt replies. Some fascinating answers.

The cartridge on my system failed two months before the warranty expired (2 year warranty I believe) , in your opinion, how likely are cartridges to fail?

I have been given a pricing list by dealer to extend the warranty, and wondered, if people generally take up this option, or, prepare for the inevitability of a failed cartridge by purchasing a reinitialized one at a cheaper price before the cartridge fails.

PS The first cartridge sent by Kaleidescape only loaded to 9% on the system before 'freezing' as it got damaged internally during transit (are they that delicate that this is a major factor when buying a reinitialized disc also?)

Once installed and working, disk failure rates are very low. Over many years, and among all of our clients, some with large systems with multiple Servers, I've only had to replace two disks that failed. These are enterprise level disks that hold up very well over time. That said, they can, and do fail. Personally, I think the extended warranties are worth the investment, not because I'm a dealer (the margins are negligible), but because of the peace of mind, and excellent support provided by K.

Yes, disks should be handled carefully (certainly wouldn't want to drop one!), but they are not "eggs" (although I tend to treat mine that way:)). Considering how some shipments are handled (drop kicking around the warehouse:eek:) (kidding), it is possible for a disk to damaged in transit, even with the excellent packing provided by K.

If buying a used disk, I'd try to obtain the same packaging K uses (Foam/Boxed) for shipping, especially long distances.

Jim

Just extending this topic a little further. If I have a spare slot in my 1U server, at what point is it a good idea to fill the final slot? I mean, only necessary when the other three discs are at full capacity, or better to do it at some point before that.

I'm considering holding on to my spare disc until the system is full, in case one of the three discs fails and I need to replace it. Just to clarify the implications here please.

Just extending this topic a little further. If I have a spare slot in my 1U server, at what point is it a good idea to fill the final slot? I mean, only necessary when the other three discs are at full capacity, or better to do it at some point before that.

I'm considering holding on to my spare disc until the system is full, in case one of the three discs fails and I need to replace it. Just to clarify the implications here please.
My thoughts...
  1. If you do it now, then the disc is married to that array, and cannot be sold or otherwise used without the other discs in the set without being re-initialized first.
  2. The 1U does not have a hot-spare, so holding on to the disc (unless you need space) would allow you to rebuild the array slightly faster, as no waiting on the replacement. You also would not need to purchase a disc to get your system back from a degraded state if out of warranty.
  3. There might be a capacity issue, but with only one slot left, this point is mostly moot.
  4. Warranty considerations: if that is a new drive, you might as well use it now while covered should it fail.
If you do not need the space, there is nothing wrong with holding on to it, aside from the warranty slipping away or the increased risk of loss/damage depending on how/where you store it. One in the hand is worth two in the bush (or something like that.)

Back