• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A **possible** solution to our HDMI decoding dilemma

JerryL

For those who need to get the high res DD True HD and DTS Master Audio into LPCM over HDMI, I have looked at this Cambridge Audio BR player. Model 752. It has an HDMI input and according to its documentation it seems it will decode the high res audio from an input and pass it along over HDMI as LPCM.

I'm getting a player to try out so I will let you all know. The MSRP of this item is around $1200 so its hardly inexpensive, but if someone said there was a black box that handled our decoding desires and it would cost $1200 that wouldnt seem too unreasonable. In this case the black box is also a full fledged top of the line BR player that plays all the formats it seems.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/azur-752bd-universal-upsampling-blu-ray-dvd-cd-player

I'll let you all know how it works out. Fingers crossed.

...I'm getting a player to try out so I will let you all know...

Too late for me I'm afraid, I had to sell my Halcro because of the decoding thing. But if you are in the mood for getting stuff to try out, don't suppose you could get me the new Krell Foundation 7.1 AVP, and whilst you're at it, an M700 as well, for me to try out :D
p.s. and a new set of 4TB's as well :D:D

Jerry,
Too late for me too. Removed the Lexicon MC-12HD and now use the Bryston SP-3. It's an awesome unit. Certainly more expensive than player you cite, but I'm blown away with its performance not only with the new movie codecs but also music. Jim (Cinelife) is a Bryston dealer and I purchased it through him as I have no one local.

Sweet. I've always liked Bryston. Especially their amps. In my case I am too happy with my Meridian gear- its not just processor, its speakers too. I have my workaround but the guy who built it for me retired and I had him build me two units (one as a backup)- and the first one failed for some reason- so Im on the second one and when I saw this new player that seems to decode and put it back over HDMI I figured, well that would work for me and would allow me to get 7.1. In my current system Im stuck at 5.1 (not a big difference but you know how we are always looking for that little extra). I'll report back to let you all know what comes of this.

I came to the conclusion that the only way is to buy a new AV processor with HDMI ports that can handle the 'new' HD Codecs as non of the other solutions work due to licencing that stops the HD codecs being output over anything but the HDMI ports.

Yup, had to get rid of my Halcro unit for the same reason. I tried a few solutions, all good, before settling on Bryston's SP3 which is just an incredible processor and sold at a reasonable price considering it's performance. Giving up the Halcro wasn't difficult to do after they vacated the U.S. market, but for some of our member's it's a more expensive proposition considering some own Meridian and Levinson gear.

(Disclosure: One of my businesses sells Bryston, so consider my comment accordingly.)

Jim

Last edited:
Nice full disclosure!

I am still lucky that I found a solution that works for me. I hope Kaleidescape will address this with a new player at some point.

Back