• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A Digital Image is Worth 1,250 Words

PointMan

I've noticed that in this forum members seldom include photos with their posts. Perhaps that is due to the subject matter. But as a newcomer building my first high-end theatre, I for one would certainly find it very interesting to see photos depicting what other members have built. Am I missing something or would that type of thing be outside of the scope of this forum?

Thanks John! I did see that, but only a couple of members posted photos. [Mr.Poindexter, your setup looks amazing!] The reason I mentioned it was because another board that I used to participate in (for BMW M6 owners) was plastered with new photos on a daily basis. It added a lot to the experience of sharing. I'm sure it helps with getting more forum membership as well. For a group that is centered around a visual medium, I am surprised at the lack of images here. I sit at a darn keyboard for most of my day, so a few pix always helps to break the monotony of text. Most folks like to see what you got under the bonnet.

Last edited:
Cars are something people see you in out in public. Your theater is something inside your *home*. While it is safe to say that a lot of people buy nicer cars than they need because of how it will make them look to others *and* some folks put in nice theaters so they can "show off" to their friends, they're still a very different thing.

My theater has made the front page of a Sunday section of the local newspaper (in the second biggest city in NC, which isn't saying a ton, but...) as well as in a coffee table book on home theaters. Both were anonymous, though, and I have no intention of posting pictures of it on the Internet.

I know most of YOU guys wouldn't see it as bragging, but anyone who decided to start googling me and saw it could quite easily say I'm some guy who sits around bragging about his home theater. I dunno, I just don't care for that, even though I've been known to post quite a few car pictures myself. It's just a different thing. EVERYONE brags about their car, and quite frankly my cars aren't *that* interesting anyway (they used to be, but now I care a lot less).

Anyway, I'm just saying it's not necessarily a deficiency in the community, it's possibly more of a privacy thing for some.

--Donnie

Frankly, my theatre is boring, aesthetically. I tend to build my theatres for viewing and listening (meaning purely video and audio). I do not had flashy items, or lots of color, I do not want distractions. I enter my theatre and within 30 seconds the lights are dimmed, PJ's fired "On", screen is positioning the masking, and K's logo is floating around the screen. That's all I need.

My theatre here does not photograph well because it is mostly Gray and Black. All walls and ceiling are covered in Gray or Black acoustic fabric from Guilford of Maine. Ceilings are Black fabric, walls are Gray fabric, with Gray/Black accent panels holding sconce lights. Two rows of Black deco custom seating from Fortress seating. Screen is a CineCurve with Stewart's Black vellux perimeter case surrounded by Black fabric (speaker's are behind the screen and in the walls). There are 28 acoustic panels hidden behind cloth at the appropriate wall and ceiling locations (I treat the room, I don't correct for the room).

So, as described, you can see that any pics would be useless. Rooms like Mike's, and D's above, and others like that, photograph well, and show well. This is a hobby/addiction for most of us, and if I had a visually attractive room like Mike's (or D's), or many of the other guys here, I'd likely post the pics, and I hope other's do decide to post their rooms.:)

Jim

Mine's not that special looking any more, either. I think it was at the time it was done (2002), but now I've seen a lot nicer. It looks nice, but it was the over-the-top equipment I *used* to have that was the big attraction.

The first setup was whatever the best Runco you could get then was. My God that thing was HUGE. And we were able to put it in a room behind the theater to hide it. The audio was hidden Vandersteen speakers (forget the model) and then model 5's (at the time considered the best sounding main you could get) at the front. They were driven by Levinson 33's (for those unfamiliar, each amp requires its own 220V 50A circuit) and then smaller Levinson amps for the rest with a Levinson processor and reference CD player, Meridian DVD, etc, etc. Oh, and four Arial subs, one in each corner.

I also had some nice dedicated theater seating, which I've switched out for some Pottery Barn seats that are more comfortable. But the Levinson stuff just got too hard to keep working, and Levinson wasn't standing behind ANYTHING any more. I sold all the Levinson gear and every loose Transparent cable I had for a LOT more money than it cost me to go back with decent cables and some Marantz independent components. I have upgraded the projector to another Runco that's about 1/4 the size of the previous one (forget the model) and I do still have all the Vandersteen's (though I did not send the 5's back for the upgrade that's now available).

I'm pretty sure I can't tell a bit of difference between the Levinson/Transparent gear with the current stuff that's about 1/20th the cost. And everything I have now cost less to BUY than what I spent the last three years of SERVICING the Levinson gear. And by all accounts that was going to remain a REGULAR thing. And each of those 33's took four dudes to move and required storing their custom wooden crates to ship. And it was hundreds of dollars to motor freight them to Levinson for repairs. F' that noise.

The Marantz stuff can be fixed, but if I get fed up I can throw it away and not feel bad.

Originally it was all in 4 independent 19" racks that were 6' high completely with the gaps between components closed off with panels and cut-out rack shelves for each piece and all that. Now? Waste. I swap things out as I feel and just use normal shelves from monoprice. Got all the fancy bits out of the damned way so I can get to stuff. And I reduced it all to TWO racks, without it being cramped. But the two racks sure aren't as pretty as the four I *had*, either. And I don't care. Like Jim, when I dim the lights and fire up everything, you don't care a bit what any of that other crap looks like. :)

Originally I had several rack spaces filled with Crestron processors and crap for the custom remote system. Now? A couple little Global Cache' boxes hidden in the back and iRule running on an iPad does a great job.

Anyway, I'm on using my stuff, not showing it off. :)

--Donnie

Agreed Donnie, cars are a totally different animal. In reality I was pretty deep into high performance GT automobiles for awhile for purely selfish reasons, and really could not care less with regard to the public perception or my cars (usually it was a blur). I simply love the exhilaration of getting behind the wheel of a supremely-engineered machine with more torque and HP than any human being has a good reason to own, other than why not?. But I got bored with cars after a few years.

I'm interested in seeing what others have done mainly for inspiration. I understand that privacy is a concern, especially nowadays. But frankly, this board is pretty anonymous, unless one chooses to reveal personally identifiable information or share that info with a select few via PM.

As a child growing up in a small town with little to do, we did fortunately have three movie theaters, and so going to the Saturday matinee developed into a passion, and my love of film took its roots. We did not have much money, and I will confess that my sidekick and I sometimes resorted to sneaking in without a ticket. More often than not, we got caught and thrown out. Once when we had purchased tickets, I got caught smuggling in contraband from the corner store: a Snickers bar and large green bottle of Bubble Up. I vowed to my buddy "Someday I'll own a theater, and we'll get in for free anytime we want!"

So fast forward several decades; when my wife and I finally broke ground on our family compound in early 2012, I designed the structure around the theatre, rather than finding a corner for it in the new home. Most of the rest of the home is nearing completion, and the focus now is on the cinema, which is windowless and entirely underground. It is composed of a lobby and concessions, decent sized media closet for racks, equipment, projector, K stuff, etc. and a separate viewing room. Like Jim, the theatre itself is designed for sound and vision: black carpeting, dark Guilford acoustic panels, few distractions, no starfield ceiling. I've also had an underground city built around the theater, comprised of small London shops, cobblestone alley, and such. The theatre marquee itself has been under construction by a sign company that does them for classic commercial theatre renovations. The man says he has 400 hours into the sign, and that I should prepare myself psychologically for the invoice, which will be slightly over budget. I told him not to worry about it, but to focus purely on workmanship.

So my goal is to create the total experience, the magic if you will. Yes, this is a private space, solely for the enjoyment of my family and friends. An escape that my grandchildren will hopefully cherish. And where we can experience some truly wonderful cinematic achievements. Although IMO, much of what Hollywood produces is junk, they are many good and few great films produced every year. Kaleidescape seems to be the only system on the market that provides a wonderful interface and the scripting functionality that I want.

The experience starts with a stroll to the theatre storefront, the posters of coming attractions, the ticket window (35? admission, by the way), the aroma of fresh popcorn, standing in line at the concessions counter, then finding your seat, lights going down, exciting trailers, and the feature begins. And ending with a "wow, that was a great movie"... or "wow, that ending really sucked."

I'd love to see what others have done, not for bragging rights, but just to satisfy intellectual curiosity. And if anyone is interested, I'm happy to post progress photos as well. If not, that's fine too. And Jim, Jim, I'm sure I would find your "boring" theatre... fascinating!

Attachments

• tickets.jpg
    tickets.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Back