• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A Case for 10TB Drives for the Premier

Noah Winter

I seem to be adding more movies to my Premier system than I thought I would and will be running out of my 3U server space soon. When Paramount comes on board with its large catalog of movies I may be unable to fully take advantage of what may be available in the store until I can purchase additional K Servers.

With the pending Paramount deal nearing a reality, it may be mutually beneficial for K to tweak the 10TB drives to fit with existing Premier servers to allow for more rapid purchasing of Paramount titles which would be good for the end user, Paramount, and K. I'm not an engineer so I do not know how much time would be needed to do this but imagine it is the same process used to previously offer larger drives.

There would also be the sales of the actual drives as well to cover the cost of engineering.

Thank you for considering.

We would all like to see 10TB's for our 3U's (and 1U's, except for the 1U+ which is already using 10TB's), but unless things have changed, I was told from the beginning that the 10TB's would not work in our older Premiere servers because of a hardware limitation. I'll try to confirm if that is still accurate. Maybe Mike K. can answer.

Jim

Well, "no" is my 2nd favorite answer, but knowing this for sure would let us better plan. Thanks for checking.

I think the long term for the Premier system will be for more space available. Anybody who ends up with a Co-Star merge into the Encore line will find storage cheaper on the Terra line and would be moving their store purchases there anyway, along with all the 4K content. That leaves the Premier line for CD, DVD and physical bluray content.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but when I move all my k-store content over to a Terra server, I will have more space than I can really see myself needing on my Premier, likely for the rest of its life given how few titles I will be buying on physical disc vs. downloads from the store onto the Terra.

Well with all the Anime and Criterions I own my 3U is filling up and this has been accelerated by the advent of Paramount. I have a few drive slots left but would like to hold off if 10TB drives are possible. Any confirmation if 10TB drives may come to the 3U in the future Jim or Mike?
Thank you.

The answer is still "No" (because the 3U platform does not support the 10TB drives).

Jim

Thanks Jim, I will accept this as canon. Now I am liberated to purchase more 6TB drives.

I wonder what size drives the new 1U servers can use or if 10tb is their final size? maybe10tb is the end of road for the Premier system based on current hardware limitations?

Not sure what limitations exist for drives in the 1U+, but probably could handle larger drives if they were to become available, assuming K sees value in supporting larger drives.

Jim

Back