• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

A BUNCH OF IMPORTANT HD UPGRADES STUCK WAITING ON PROGRAM GUIDE.

Hi everybody,

It looks like there was a problem with the movie guide data that was preventing the automatic guide update process from completing normally. We've fixed that issue and an updated guide is nearly finished building. Once it's ready, systems will download it automatically, and then any downloads that were waiting on guide updates will proceed. You don't need to take any action for this to happen.

As Mark H noted, any movies that don't depend on the updated guide will still download normally, so if there's something you're urgently waiting for, try moving that to the top of the queue and if it's not dependent on the guide, it will begin downloading.

We expect these stuck downloads to resume shortly, and we apologize for the inconvenience!

We have a database of all of the information about every movie on the Kaleidescape movie store, plus of course all of the physical DVD and Blu-ray movies that our systems recognize. When we add new movies to the store (or update existing titles), that database has to be updated.

As that database is gigantic, it gets distilled down into a special format that is sent to our movie servers. This allows them to display all of the information you see in the onscreen display, and it also includes crucial information like the available audio tracks, the movie start and end bookmarks, etc, etc, etc.

If you were to buy a movie from our store that was not in your system's internal database, your system wouldn't know how to display it, or how to play it. So when systems download a movie, they check to make sure that they have the required version of the movie guide database, and if they don't, they download that first and then download the movie.

Something evidently prevented that automated distillation process from running (or completing), and so servers that were trying to download recent(-ly updated) movies were finding that they needed an updated version of the guide database that they couldn't download, so they will just keep retrying until they can.

Didn't get the movie guide issue, but a Green Lantern (HD) update took almost 6 hours. Normally HD movies take around 8 minutes! SJ

We have a database of all of the information about every movie on the Kaleidescape movie store, plus of course all of the physical DVD and Blu-ray movies that our systems recognize. When we add new movies to the store (or update existing titles), that database has to be updated.

As that database is gigantic, it gets distilled down into a special format that is sent to our movie servers. This allows them to display all of the information you see in the onscreen display, and it also includes crucial information like the available audio tracks, the movie start and end bookmarks, etc, etc, etc.

If you were to buy a movie from our store that was not in your system's internal database, your system wouldn't know how to display it, or how to play it. So when systems download a movie, they check to make sure that they have the required version of the movie guide database, and if they don't, they download that first and then download the movie.

Something evidently prevented that automated distillation process from running (or completing), and so servers that were trying to download recent(-ly updated) movies were finding that they needed an updated version of the guide database that they couldn't download, so they will just keep retrying until they can.
Thanks Mike. That’s very helpful. I had assumed details etc might be retrieved in rt and that the config data was attached to the movie file. Always helpful to understand how things work, not essential, but helpful.

Hi everybody,

It looks like there was a problem with the movie guide data that was preventing the automatic guide update process from completing normally. We've fixed that issue and an updated guide is nearly finished building. Once it's ready, systems will download it automatically, and then any downloads that were waiting on guide updates will proceed. You don't need to take any action for this to happen.

As Mark H noted, any movies that don't depend on the updated guide will still download normally, so if there's something you're urgently waiting for, try moving that to the top of the queue and if it's not dependent on the guide, it will begin downloading.

We expect these stuck downloads to resume shortly, and we apologize for the inconvenience!
Mike FYI - Wrath of Titans which I removed from my update cue to download Elvis... did not return under my updates section.
I did go directly to the movie in the store and it showed update available which I did.

Who Initiates these updates? The studios? As in something they created for servicing the streaming services? Or...
It depends. Sometimes we get new assets from the studio (e.g. additional audio/subtitle tracks). Sometimes we get a report of an issue with a title that we are able to address by adjusting how we transcode it, so it's the same studio assets but we essentially create a revised/better version.

Mike FYI - Wrath of Titans which I removed from my update cue to download Elvis... did not return under my updates section.
I did go directly to the movie in the store and it showed update available which I did.
Hmmm. I'll have to talk to the store team about that. So to be sure I understand, you had scheduled the update, but it was blocked due to the guide issue and you wanted to get Elvis downloaded, so you canceled the download, but at that point the movie no longer showed up for you on the Movie Updates page?

If that's the correct sequence, I'm not sure why that would have happened. Incidentally, in a situation like that, you could re-order your download queue and shift a movie like that to the bottom rather than removing it, and that would let the other movies progress.

Hmmm. I'll have to talk to the store team about that. So to be sure I understand, you had scheduled the update, but it was blocked due to the guide issue and you wanted to get Elvis downloaded, so you canceled the download, but at that point the movie no longer showed up for you on the Movie Updates page?

If that's the correct sequence, I'm not sure why that would have happened. Incidentally, in a situation like that, you could re-order your download queue and shift a movie like that to the bottom rather than removing it, and that would let the other movies progress.
Correctomundo... on the first Paragraph

Yes I should have moved it down agreed.... I was just in a hurry at that point as my guests were arriving soon...but the fact remains that it vanished from my updates cue and when I went to the movie it showed update available and I could update.

It sounds like a bug to me but I will check. It may be that once you send a movie from "Movie Updates" to the download queue, that removes it from the Movie Updates view, but I didn't work on that code so I will have to ask. Thanks for letting us know!

Correctomundo... on the first Paragraph

Yes I should have moved it down agreed.... I was just in a hurry at that point as my guests were arriving soon...but the fact remains that it vanished from my updates cue and when I went to the movie it showed update available and I could update.
I have the same issue. I usually take a screenshot or two if I am going to delete or change something to remind me of what was there. However, I was in a hurry and simply cancelled all the updates (there were a dozen or more). After downloading the new titles I had wanted I looked for the updates, but they are no longer listed in my updates. I was able to find a few by memory and by referring to some of the posts in this forum, but the others are in limbo.

It would be greatly appreciated if the team can find the "bug" and remedy it.

Thanks!

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne, for the added info. I will add your experience to the bug report.

It depends. Sometimes we get new assets from the studio (e.g. additional audio/subtitle tracks). Sometimes we get a report of an issue with a title that we are able to address by adjusting how we transcode it, so it's the same studio assets but we essentially create a revised/better version.

I have this issue too. However, if I view the Store from my OSD the updates that I cancelled still show in the ”My Updates” list. When I go directly to the Store from a web browser they do not.

I hope this helps in tracking down the “bug”.

John

Last edited:
Thanks, that's helpful. If you have the mobile app, do your updates show up in the Movie Updates view under the More tab?

Thanks, that's helpful. If you have the mobile app, do your updates show up in the Movie Updates view under the More tab?
In my system the previously deleted updates do not show up in either the mobile app or the web interface. They do show up in the OSD. Thanks to JohnJ for pointing this out as I am now able to identify those missing updates. Mike, I hope this also helps in the bug search.

Wayne

No, as Wayne said, they do not show up in the mobile app either.

John

Back