• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 7.3 Released to dealer demo systems

John -- Thanks for your report. I hadn't thought to check the audio on the newly listed 4K HDR titles. What I am really hoping for is that a number of films with terrific Atmos soundtracks, which I own with BD quality, will be made available in 4K HDR. Examples would be Gravity and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Is it uniformly true that if the 4K HDR version has an Atmos soundtrack then the 4K UHD version will as well?
Not necessarily, because it depends upon the content that we receive from each studio. Our aim is to have Atmos whenever it is available, though. There will definitely be 4K UHD titles with Atmos appearing on the Movie Store shortly.

And is the wider color gamut available in both?
At the present time, wide color gamut is only available on HDR titles.

My projector supports HDR but honestly I quite prefer 4K SDR BT2020 in most cases (usually a brighter overall picture and deeper blacks).
Where are you getting WCG with SDR titles? Via downconversion?

When you have a chance can you let me know how the HDR titles looks on your JVC DLA-RS600? I am curious if you will find the image to be visually superior to the HD and UHD versions (given the limited light output of projectors like ours).

I was a bit disappointed that there isn't an option to "switch" HDR off - or better yet an option to remap from HDR to SDR as is provided by the Panasonic and (upcoming) Oppo 4K Blu-ray players.

From my perspective there are four benefits associated with 4K UltraHD:
- HDR
- Wider color gamut
- Atmos (since some studios reserve Atmos for 4K UltraHD)

I have been reading that quite a few people prefer UHD SDR BT2020 on the JVC RS500/RS600 (in other words the above list with HDR remapped to SDR).

I have read the same in the forums... our projectors are better off not using HDR but using the wider color gamut. I have a HD fury to do that- i just havent gotten around to trying it out.

Curious, my Strato's are not updating. anyone know how to force it. tried restarting several times don't see an option to force it. Says last service connection was 1 minute ago

I have read the same in the forums... our projectors are better off not using HDR but using the wider color gamut. I have a HD fury to do that- i just havent gotten around to trying it out.

I'm also trying to figure this out. Doesn't this require your player (Strato) to have the ability to remap HDR BT.2020 to SDR BT.2020 color space? Or is that handled by the HD fury or VP like a Lumagen Pro? SJ

Curious, my Strato's are not updating. anyone know how to force it. tried restarting several times don't see an option to force it. Says last service connection was 1 minute ago

When we release a kOS update, we generally don't release it to all systems at once. We update in phases.

In this case, we've prioritized systems that are connected to HDR-capable displays, since HDR support is the most significant change in this release.

When we release a kOS update, we generally don't release it to all systems at once. We update in phases.

In this case, we've prioritized systems that are connected to HDR-capable displays, since HDR support is the most significant change in this release.

So because I have some of my Strato's is connected to a 16x16 4K HDMI and the one that is direct to a 4K HDR receiver and Sony 4K/HDR Projector I'm stuck waiting.

:(

No, if you have one Strato connected to a display that supports HDR, we *should* have detected that. It may be that the Strato is not seeing the correct EDID information for some reason. If you like, shoot me a PM with the serial number of the player that's connected to the HDR display, and I'll see if we can figure out what's going on.

Where are you getting WCG with SDR titles? Via downconversion?

A couple of ways.

The first is to "spoof" the system into thinking the projector does not support HDR (but does support 4K and WCG) using an Integral HDFury. Lots of people (including me) did this originally with the current generation of JVC DLA-RS500/RS600 projectors.

The second and better way is to use the Panasonic DMP-UB900 Blu-ray player, which tone maps HDR to SDR with its Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment feature (the soon to be released Oppo UDP-203 will do the same). Many people prefer this to trying to get a clean HDR picture on a projector.

I really think it would be highly beneficial to do the same on the Strato. I sent detailed information to Kaleidescape technical support a couple of months ago about this issue for projectors.

As I posted earlier the goal is to have access to the following from your HDR releases: 4K, WCG, SDR, Atmos (some studies like Sony are ONLY including Atmos on their UltraHD releases - not the regular Blu-ray release).

If the Strato does not support tone mapping I plan to get the Oppo UDP-203 when it is released (assuming it does tone mapping as good or better than the Panasonic DMP-UB900). Unfortunately, I won't have a lot of time to play around with all of this until Thanksgiving!

For those that have the Panasonic DMP-UB900, is the Strato performance as good as the Panny for UHD 4k Atmos movies? Also does anyone know how many you can store on a 6TB strato? I need to make a decision before the prices go up! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Note that on 7.3, if you have multiple versions of a movie on your system (e.g. 4K HDR, 4K Ultra HD, and Blu-ray quality), you will only see a single cover on the player. That cover will be for the best version of the movie that the particular player and display that you're currently using can play.

Mike, will this make it to the premier line? Merge blu ray and DVD into one cover.

For those that have the Panasonic DMP-UB900, is the Strato performance as good as the Panny for UHD 4k Atmos movies? Also does anyone know how many you can store on a 6TB strato? I need to make a decision before the prices go up! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

In my opinion the Strato is better in every way. Movies skip all the rubbish trailers and menus and get straight in to the movie, you can play specific scenes or create your own, you don't need to put a disc in anymore and you get the amazing interface. I haven't used my Panasonic in months and am currently selling it.

The Strato can hold around 150 Blu-ray quality movies or around 100 UHD titles (or a mix of both). Then later you can add additional players or a Terra server to expand your system.

Mike, will this make it to the premier line? Merge blu ray and DVD into one cover.

I'm a little surprised this is even coming to the Encore. Wasn't there some comments a few months back about how such a consolidation [at least in reference to the store offerings] would, embellished in my words, effectively constitute an offense upon the sanctity of the cover art?

I'm a little surprised this is even coming to the Encore. Wasn't there some comments a few months back about how such a consolidation [at least in reference to the store offerings] would, embellished in my words, effectively constitute an offense upon the sanctity of the cover art?

They did say they didn't want to convolute the user interface but it seems they have found a way not to with this method :)

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of combining the cover art. To me, each format is a separate entity. One example that quickly came to mind is that I have the first six Star Wars films on DVD and then I have A New Hope in blu-ray quality from doing disc-to-digital.

In the original functionality, I would have the six films, all with their original DVD cover art neatly together, looking great, with the blu-ray quality A New Hope as a separate entry. Now with the new functionality, there will be 5 with the DVD cover art and then A New Hope will be combined into just the Blu-ray cover art. The collector in me that likes things nicely and correctly organized does not like that.

Not to mention, how much development time did this take? I've never even seen it as a requested feature. Aren't there many higher priority items that should be addressed?

Back