• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 7.3 Released to dealer demo systems

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
From K today:

We are very pleased to announce the availability of kOS 7.3, a major software update for the Kaleidescape Strato movie player. The kOS 7.3 update has already been installed on dealer demo systems. We plan to update customer systems later this month.

kOS 7.3 adds exciting new features to the Strato movie player, and it improves the overall performance and robustness of playback. The new features include:

4K HDR (high dynamic range) video playback
Support for high-bitrate Dolby Atmos soundtracks in 4K titles
The ability to configure a large number of Strato players in a single system
Strato can now play 4K HDR movies using the HDR10 open standard, including support for SMPTE 2084 EOTF (PQ) and the BT.2020 color space with 10-bit color depth. This provides brilliant dynamic range for richer, more lifelike images, and unlocks the full potential of modern display technology. For HDR playback, Strato must be connected to an HDR TV or projector that can process open standard 10-bit HDMI® 2.0a HDR. Such TVs and projectors are available from leading display manufacturers such as Sony, JVC, Samsung, and LG.

Strato can now play 4K movies with high-bitrate Dolby Atmos soundtracks based on Dolby TrueHD. Combined with HDR, this provides the most immersive experience available for enjoying movies in the home.

kOS 7.3 also improves the onscreen user interface when you have multiple versions of the same movie (4K HDR, 4K Ultra HD, and Blu-ray quality) on your system. You no longer need to decide which version of a movie to play because the onscreen user interface presents only the best quality movie that can be played, taking into account both the type of player you are using (Strato or Alto), and the capability of the display device. The highest-quality version will be played by default; other versions are accessible from the details page. Because different versions of a movie may come with different extras, the movie details page combines the extras from all playable versions of the movie into a single list for easy access.

Until now, Kaleidescape Encore systems have been limited to four players. With kOS 7.3, an Encore system with one or more Terra movie servers can be configured with as many non-storage Strato players as the home or yacht requires.

kOS 7.3 also includes many bug fixes as well as software platform improvements that will make it easier to deliver exciting new features in the future.

Jim

That's great news.!!!
Now i'll like to see them get Paramount pictures.!!
Its embarrassing that they dont have it yet.

This is great news indeed! I have been hoping that 4K HDR capability would be added to the Strato soon and now it looks like it will actually happen.

I hate to even ask this, but if a UHD title is re-released with HDR and Atmos, I assume we don't have to purchase this new version again if we already payed for the UHD copy that didn't have these features originally? SJ

Would be great if the user interface changes made it onto the premier systems too. Merging bluray and DVD together so you don't see titles repeated.

I approve merging the blueray and dvd together as well.

I would also love to see a setting that removes the lower quality film. I love extras and all but I just dont have the extra hard drive space right now.

I hate to even ask this, but if a UHD title is re-released with HDR and Atmos, I assume we don't have to purchase this new version again if we already payed for the UHD copy that didn't have these features originally? SJ

I was wondering the same thing earlier today. I can't believe that Kscape would charge those of us who own a UHD title for upgrading to UHD HDR but i've been surprised before. I have the Fury UHD file and it appears to be one of those that will be upgraded to UHD HDR after kOS 7.3 is rolled out.

I was wondering the same thing earlier today. I can't believe that Kscape would charge those of us who own a UHD title for upgrading to UHD HDR but i've been surprised before. I have the Fury UHD file and it appears to be one of those that will be upgraded to UHD HDR after kOS 7.3 is rolled out.

K doesn't control that, if there are any up-charges (not saying there are) it will be because of contracts already in place.

Jim

Hello all. If you've already purchased the 4K Ultra HD version of a movie (a.k.a. standard dynamic range), then you will automatically own the 4K HDR version of the movie if such a version is released. The same holds true if the title is upgraded to include Atmos.

Dealer's will initially have access to Ten 4K HDR titles, Four of which are also Atmos titles. K is asking dealers to provide feedback on the experience with the new version and playback of these these titles, presumably as another quality check before release to all owners later this month. (It is not a true Beta, but more of a "tell us what you think" request.)

For those that think K is treading water, that is not the case, they are moving forward and working improvements to benefit all owners. Some good things coming from K, hang in there!

Jim

Hello all. If you've already purchased the 4K Ultra HD version of a movie (a.k.a. standard dynamic range), then you will automatically own the 4K HDR version of the movie if such a version is released. The same holds true if the title is upgraded to include Atmos.

Thanks for that comment Mike, I didn't feel comfortable making that statement myself....:)

Jim

Dealer's will initially have access to Ten 4K HDR titles, Four of which are also Atmos titles. K is asking dealers to provide feedback on the experience with the new version and playback of these these titles, presumably as another quality check before release to all owners later this month. (It is not a true Beta, but more of a "tell us what you think" request.)

For those that think K is treading water, that is not the case, they are moving forward and working improvements to benefit all owners. Some good things coming from K, hang in there!

Jim
Jim, I saw elsewhere that one of the 10 titles being released for dealer access is "Rocky Mountain Express", but it was shown as not having an Atmos soundtrack. I have the UHD Blu-ray version of "Rocky Mountain Express", and it has one of the best Atmos soundtracks I have ever heard. If what I read was in error, and it does have Atmos, great, but if not, I would strongly encourage Kscape to look at adding it.

Because different versions of a movie may come with different extras, the movie details page combines the extras from all playable versions of the movie into a single list for easy access.

Does it mention which version the extra is feeding from, so you don't go trimming space and lose desired features? (Might be a nice precursor to bringing the function to the shop *cough*.)

Does it mention which version the extra is feeding from, so you don't go trimming space and lose desired features? (Might be a nice precursor to bringing the function to the shop *cough*.)

Sorry B, I don't have that answer (but I suspect not). Maybe Mike knows.

Jim

Jim, I saw elsewhere that one of the 10 titles being released for dealer access is "Rocky Mountain Express", but it was shown as not having an Atmos soundtrack. I have the UHD Blu-ray version of "Rocky Mountain Express", and it has one of the best Atmos soundtracks I have ever heard. If what I read was in error, and it does have Atmos, great, but if not, I would strongly encourage Kscape to look at adding it.

I saw that as well, not sure which version K received, or what they can release, but your comment is noted.

Keep in mind that K wants to provide all of the capabilities available, so I'm sure they will offer the most complete version available to them, but in some cases future updates to titles may be necessary.

Jim

I saw that as well, not sure which version K received, or what they can release, but your comment is noted.

Keep in mind that K wants to provide all of the capabilities available, so I'm sure they will offer the most complete version available to them, but in some cases future updates to titles may be necessary.

Jim

Understood. Thanks!

Mike -- Thanks a million for your confirmation. I am sure we all appreciate it.

Jim

Hi Jim:

This is indeed great news.

Yes, it does. The Extras are grouped by version. For example:

Special Features (Blu-ray quality download)
Feature #1
Feature #2
Etc.

Delete Scenes (Blu-ray quality download)
Scene #1
Scene #2
Etc.

Special Features (DVD quality download)
You get the idea

Back