• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 5U to 3U Server Trade Up is Back

New 2TB Cartridges

From what I have bee told by my salespeople, in order to be able to install a 2TB cartridge in my 3U server, I must first buy a 1 TB cartridge and then install a second cartridge then being the 2 TB cartridge.

Has anybody been told about this prerequisite of a 1TB in order to install a 2TB?

Thanks,

Dave in Philly

Dave,

IF you already have 1tb drives it will take 2 2tb to take advantage of the extra 1tb on the drive. The hot swap drive will be your largest drive, so adding 1 2tb drive will not gain you 2tb. the second 2tb you add will net you a full 2tb. In my opinion there is no need to have a 1tb drive to add a 2tb drive. If you have no drives at all you should only utilize 2tb drives to allow for largest amount of storage. There are others here on the forum who are very knowledgeable and may comment further if there is some issue I am not aware.

Dave: If the salesperson is telling or suggesting that you have to "start filling" a new K-Scape with 1TB drives before you add 2 TB drives, then he/she is mistaken. Do you already already have a server partially populated with 1TB disks? If so, here is an answer that I posted in November 2009 in another thread on this forum -- a thread concerning the availability of 2 TB drives:

"Yes, you can add 2TB drives to your 3U server partially populated with 1TB drives. When you add the first 2TB drive, it will become the hot spare, and the "old" 1TB hot spare will be added to storage--i.e., the system will get an additional 1TB of storage. When you add the second 2TB drove, then the system will use 1TB of that capacity to store additional parity information for the system and 1TB will be added to the system's storage capacity. Beginning with the 3rd 2TB disk, the entire capacity of the disk (2TB) will be added to the array's storage capacity."

As noted previously, the server does not get movie/music storage access to the full 2TB from any disk until you have added at least three new 2 TB drives. Beginning with the third 2TB disk, your system will have storage access to roughly 2TB per 2TB disk added -- if course, less any system software on each disk.

I hope the above information answers your question.

I have a 3U server with 3 2TB drives which were warranty replacements for 3 failed 1TB drives and 11 1TB drives.

I also have 2 spare 1TB drives but have been told conflicting stories on whether I can introduce the 1TB drives into the system. I have been told the last disc is the hot spare and so when the system was upgraded to the 2TB drives each drive replaced after that must be at least 2TB.

I have also been told that if a 1TB fails it is ok to add one of the newly reinitialized 1TB drives to replace it, which i believe makes sense in the Raid array.Anyone confirm either of these for sure.

thanks

In your present configuration 2x 2TB will be used for K-Raid and the Hot Spare. The third 2TB and 1TB drives will be used for storing your collection.

Replacing a failed 1TB drive with a new or reinitialized 1TB drive should not be problem. The overall server capacity will remain unchanged.

I think it may possible to replace the "third" 2TB drive with a 1TB drive if the size of your collection will fit on the available space.

I have never replaced a larger drive with a smaller one. However, if the Hot Spare and the K-Raid are the largest size of drive. The remaining drive sizes should be immaterial as long as there is sufficient capacity for your collection.

Hopefully a dealer will be along shortly to confirm if the above is correct.

If I understand your post, your Server is currently full (3-2TB and 11-1TB).

Given that configuration, one of those 2TB drives is the Hot Spare, and one 2TB drive is dedicated to RAID (I'm stating it that way to keep it simple, but of course the RAID is spread out amongst all content drives).

If a drive were to fail, the 2TB Hot Spare would automatically begin rebuilding the content. This means that you would need a new 2TB to replace the old Hot Spare, you cannot use a 1TB. This would be true even if you had an empty space remaining in the 3U (because a drive failure would cause the automatic rebuild which would use the 2TB HS, and this requires a 2TB replacement).

If you had an empty space available in the 3U, and did not have a drive failure, and just wanted to add another drive, then you can use a 1TB drive (provided it is either "new," OR "used, but originally from the same Server," OR "used, but has been reinitialized because it had previously been in another Server.")

Hope that helps.

Jim

thanks guess i have a couple of expensive paperweights.

You can get them reinitialized and put them on the market. Even after the cost to reinitalize you should net about $700, in the current market.

Jim

Back