• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

5U starting problems

KTDJ

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just bought a 5U server and I seem to be having trouble getting it started. I plugged the unit in, and the front panel immediately starts glowing blue. However, it does not show up on the network at all and the disk lights do not illuminate. (I do show a link light on the switch) Any suggestions?

I tried connecting VIA serial and using the link local method, but neither worked.

I'm thinking something maybe undid itself inside during shipping.

Last edited:
Possible shipping issue, but I'd go back to the Seller if possible.

It does sound like a power supply issue, mainly because the drives don't spin up. You can get some lights to work, even with a bad PS, so if you plan to keep it, I'd try replacing the PS to see if that resolves the problem. If it is not the PS, and you will not know that until you try a replacement, it is likely a board, and unfortunately unless you can get a 3rd party to repair it (probably difficult), the 5U will only be useful as a trade-up component. K no longer repairs the 5U, and does not have the required PS any longer, so you'll have to go online to find a replacement. We do have a couple of posts in our forum that discuss replacements.

Jim

Possible shipping issue, but I'd go back to the Seller if possible.

It does sound like a power supply issue, mainly because the drives don't spin up. You can get some lights to work, even with a bad PS, so if you plan to keep it, I'd try replacing the PS to see if that resolves the problem. If it is not the PS, and you will not know that until you try a replacement, it is likely a board, and unfortunately unless you can get a 3rd party to repair it (probably difficult), the 5U will only be useful as a trade-up component. K no longer repairs the 5U, and does not have the required PS any longer, so you'll have to go online to find a replacement. We do have a couple of posts in our forum that discuss replacements.

Jim

I'm thinking shipping damage, as the case has few dents on it. Power supply inside seems like it was replaced at some point, (looks like a warranty tag on it from 2014) but will have to confirm with seller. Maybe the riser card or some of the power cables came off on the inside. Will investigate later tonight.

Sure, not a problem to check the obvious. If there is a tag on anything in the inside that indicates 2014, then obviously someone has replaced that item. I don't remember when K stopped servicing the 5U's, could be a K repair, but in any case they no longer service them and have no parts available to support a repair. On all 5U repairs we have to look to 3rd party sources. Hopefully it will be something you can fix on your own.

Jim

Jim,

I used a spare power supply from another computer to see if the power supply had gone bad and it didn't help, same blue lights, no disk activity, so I'm not sure what the issue could be. If the disks were all damaged in transit, could that be the cause of no boot, as in the server will not boot if it detects zero drives inserted?

If something happened to the file system (multiple disk failures??), then it might not start up properly. If it wasn't the power supply, it's hard to say for sure what's causing the problem without a tech looking at it, which they no longer do at K. Sorry, the only advice I can offer at this point is speak to the seller about returning the server, otherwise you have a lot of trial and error ahead.

On a separate note, it doesn't sound like it was packed properly if all of that damage occurred during shipping. Those servers are very heavy, not sure how it was boxed, but I know for certain that the only box built to properly ship those servers was the original K box.

Jim

On a separate note, it doesn't sound like it was packed properly if all of that damage occurred during shipping. Those servers are very heavy, not sure how it was boxed, but I know for certain that the only box built to properly ship those servers was the original K box.

Jim

First off thank you Jim for your reply. Always nice to know your willing to discuss with us.

The unit overall appears well packed, and has a solid foam sheat on the bottom. Not sure if I file a claim with ups how they will handle it but I do have before/after pictures so that will probably help. I'm thinking I should test the drives in another 5u to see if they work, or if it's the server itself that suffered the damage.

So to anyone reading, if your in the San Diego,CA area and you have a 5u machine, I would be happy to compensate you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 14
No problem Kyle, I'm also trying to locate a drive set from a 5U to test the server. PM me your address, if I locate a set, I'll send them to you.

Jim

Back