• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

5U Server not working? Or...

erixon1138

⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
I inherited a 5U server and I'm not familiar with this server so I'm not sure how the lights should light up.

It turn blue on the front and that is a good sign. But nothing else happens. No other lights turns on and I can't hear any sound from drives booting. I can't find it in the network and that is not a good sign. Can it be on static IP or is it sameting wrong with it?

How should it look if/when it's working correctly?

Using a null modem serial connection to the service port on the back is the surest method. Depending on the static network settings & your existing network it may be able to find via the network, but better to get the serial connection (as that will be the best way to change it afterwards.)

All blue is the goal.

Using a null modem serial connection to the service port on the back is the surest method. Depending on the static network settings & your existing network it may be able to find via the network, but better to get the serial connection (as that will be the best way to change it afterwards.)

All blue is the goal.
Thanks. I will try the serial connection method. I found a guide on the support page. Not my specialty but looks easy.

So the actual drives should not light up as they do in the 3U server?

Getting a serial capture via the RS-232 port on a 5u server is the absolute best way to understand what may or may not be happening during the boot process (which takes a couple minutes or longer depending on how full the disk set is).

Be aware that in the end, if the file system does not boot, you shouldn’t expect to access the browser interface or see video from your connected players.

In this case, I’m curious after say 3-4 minutes after pressing the power button, what are all the lights on the disk cartridges doing (amber vs. blue)? Do they stop in a consistent pattern or do they recycle in a repeat scenario?

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No luck with the RS-232. But it could be my lack of knowledge.

When I turn it on it looks like this. All constant blue and no blinking. It looks the same until I turn it off.

20231203_145728584_iOS.jpg

Your drives are not Blue. Your drives are not powering On, those lights on the drives should be Blue when receiving the correct power and are working correctly. I suspect you either have a compromised power supply, or a Backplane problem.

Jim

Do the lights on the disks ever turn on during the boot cycle? If no, then I'd agree with Jim that the backplane is bad, or maybe some other issue with the mainboard is occurring. Without a serial capture you won't know for sure, but you may be looking at a boat anchor 😭

Andy

The disks don't turn on what I can see.
Thanks all for your answers.

I think I give up on this one for a while.

As a final comment on this from me, and meaning no offense to 5U owners, those servers are long past their prime. Support for those servers ended many years ago, but there are some 5U's still in use which is attributable to the excellent build quality and near bullet proof performance we experienced in K's early years. I know it may be difficult for current 5U owners to move into newer products, but they really should consider doing that sooner rather than later.

If a 5U owner's content is important to them, and they want to stay with Premiere components for now, they should consider moving to a 1U+ Server while their 5U's are still able to complete a Replication of their content. If the 5U goes down, it will be very difficult, and possibly impossible to save the content on their 5U. I've already had most of our 5U clients moved to 1U+ servers while those are still available new from K, and we are able to move the "Grandfathered" status of their 5U's over to the 1U+ to allow them to continue importing DVD disc based content.

In general, it's important for Premiere owners, all Premiere owners, to understand that Support for those systems is not indefinite. Most support, with the current exception of 6TB drives, has already ended for out-of-warranty Premiere products.

There are still a few new Premiere players, and 1U+ servers available from K, and obviously those would carry a warranty, and would be supported while in-warranty. Those can still be ordered "new" from your dealer, or K directly. When available, there may also be a remanufactured (-R) replacement product (K uses -R products to provide some support for Premiere owners, but this is also temporary), but those purchases require the return of a like defective product (unless waived by K).

There is no repair or parts (including drives) support for 5U servers. There is no repair service for 3U and 1U servers, nor are there any major parts available for those Servers except the 6TB drives. Whatever parts K does have, and there are not many, are used in their remanufacturing support, they are not available for purchase.

I outlined the above as general information, but keep in mind I don't speak for K, my comments are based on my current knowledge of product availability, parts availability, support issues, and conversations I regularly have with K personnel. K's policies are obviously their own, and subject to change at any time, BUT, I feel very confident that Premiere support for most products will end in the not to distant future, so owners that care should consider their current options while those options are still available, including the currently available promotions/programs.

Feel free to contact me by PM or email if you have any additional questions, but note that if you have a dealer, they should be able to assist you as well.

Jim

Back