• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4tb vs 6tb cost and availability

You can only do one disc at a time that way, BigHat. Any more and you lose data, but the forced fail upgrade swap method is not the recommended way to upsize drives. I have done it before, but your system is vulnerable during that rebuild process and they are not big fans of having data vulnerable. If all your content is handy for a reload via the vault and store if a catastrophe happens during that upgrade, the risk isn't so bad, but if you have moved your original content discs to storage and you are talking about a fully loaded 3U, that is a lot of content to put at risk. Also, a rebuild is much more intensive than a replication as each drive must be polled to calculate the parity bit math, while a replication only pulls data from the drive that contains the information you need, so the chances of failure during a rebuild are higher than during normal operation.

For a 1U server, there isn't a huge amount of data if you have access to a spare chassis to replicate into and then swap disc sets as the process won't take that long. A full 3U replication takes a while, obviously (one and a half months if full of 4TB drives).

So if I order a new 1U server for my Premiere system do I need to specify 4tb or 6tb drives? What will the pricing be for the 4x4tb and 4x6tb configurations?

No, the 1U and 3U Server's are now configured using the 6TB drives, there is no 4TB option.

Jim

You can only do one disc at a time that way, BigHat. Any more and you lose data, but the forced fail upgrade swap method is not the recommended way to upsize drives. ).

Thanks for taking the time to write. I still have 4 empty drive bays and a 3U that says I have 25% capacity currently remaining. I'll wait until after the holidays to add 6TB drives and it should take me awhile to need added capacity. The risks you cite are exactly what I was looking for opinions about. Of course, I have read the manual discussion on replacing disks that fail and hope not to experience that but I know it's only a matter of time.

Last edited:
Mmmmm... 10T drives. Those might actually take a little while to fill.

Love these 25% capacity boosts, since they would keep dropping the requirements for replicating existing servers by a full disk.

True...we went...
750GB>1TB
1TB>2TB
2TB>3TB (briefly)
3TB>4TB
4TB>6TB

I also remember going from:
250GB -> 300GB
300GB -> 400GB
400GB -> 500GB
500GB -> 750GB

My first server came with the 300GB drives, so I have been around for all but the 250GB drives and have owned drives at every single capacity over the years.

I have updated the release history of when previous hard drives were released by K to include 6TB drives:

6TB 18 Nov 2015
4TB 30 Jan 2013
3TB 3 Jan 2012
2TB 3 Nov 2009

John

Last edited:
We have come a long way from the early days. I think I started with 300GB's drives (might have been 250's?).

Jim

SSD should be the way to go in the future. I just pulled down a 2TB SSD drive for 499! That is crazy cheap as last year the 1TB SSD was the same price. Putting it into one of my McIntosh Audio Music Servers for more stability. 2TB can still hold a lot of music files, even the hi-rez 352.8 FLAC type.

SSD should be the way to go in the future. I just pulled down a 2TB SSD drive for 499! That is crazy cheap as last year the 1TB SSD was the same price. Putting it into one of my McIntosh Audio Music Servers for more stability. 2TB can still hold a lot of music files, even the hi-rez 352.8 FLAC type.

You know that is the direction its going. Samsung will sell you a 16TB SSD drive for $7k. Which is a little ironic as 7k is roughly the same price of a new 4x4T 1U... Of course, the failure rate for an SSD is a fraction of normal drives, so theoretically, the mark up on SSD drives from K should be substantially less. Today you pay $3k for 16tb from K, so I predict that in 2018, K goes 100% SSD as in 2018, 30TB SSD drives will hit the market, likely at prices at or below $7k.

The SSD are not as large as the traditional SATA drives and the cost per TB factor is about 8x as much. I like the smaller size and quieter/cooler nature of the SSD ones, but I do not expect the mega servers to switch to SSD for a while. Perhaps we will see SSD units embedded in the players though.

I would have liked to have the 2TB notebook drives for my series 1 Cinema One. 6TB is a huge amount of storage for non-HD content.

I agree that their smaller, cooler and more efficient. However, K has always made the case that the 5x markup on their hard drives is due their warranty on disks. The failure rate of SSD drives is a fraction of normal HD's. So assuming K keeps the similar $1,000 price point and assuming considerably lower warranty claims, they should be able to allow for SSD drives sooner. The price per GB on SSD's is collapsing and given the ecological concerns, I imagine the demand for SSD's will only drive down the prices even more. In 5 -10 years from now, the spinning disk will go the way of camera film.

Why would K be exposed to warranty claims on the hard drives...surely any hard drive warranty replacements would be covered by the OEM hard drive manufacturer?

Back