• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4tb vs 6tb cost and availability

fritzcurtis

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Mikekobb,

When the 6tb disks become available this quarter per your post, what do you expect them to cost? 999?

Also, for any 4tb disks still in inventory at K, what will those cost and will they still be available and for how long?

Thanks in advance.

Historically, the upgrade drive promo involved buying a new set of drives that was sent to you in a remanufactured Server, you replicated content, then sent old Server w/drives back to K. The benefits were a new 3 year warranty on the Server and drives, and access to another Server to replicate your content. At some point the math didn't make sense and the process was changed to require the purchase of a new "Server", at a discount because of the return of the old Server w/drives.

If there is a future drive upgrade promo, it will likely follow the same process that requires a new Server purchase, we'll see.

Jim

Mikekobb,

When the 6tb disks become available this quarter per your post, what do you expect them to cost? 999?

Also, for any 4tb disks still in inventory at K, what will those cost and will they still be available and for how long?

Thanks in advance.

4TB disks are definitely still available because we've been shipping 4TB-equipped systems that may need to expand or replace a drive, etc.

Your price guess is around where cartridge pricing has landed before when we've launched larger capacity drives, so it's a reasonable guess. I'm not involved in setting pricing, but there will be a formal announcement once they're available.

Mike,
I have 5 open discs (rest are 4TB) in my 3U...
If I add five 6TB discs to the system, my understanding is that the first two will go in as RAID (replacing the two current 4TB which are in RAID) and the next three will give me 6TB each?
So as per my understanding we can mix different size discs in the same 3U and this would be a good way to upgrade space without spending too much at one time.
Looking forward to your comments.
Todo

That is correct on the drive sizes. For systems with only two open slots, stepping up to larger drives will not add any benefit until such a time that a drive fails and is replaced and that replacement is also larger. For this reason, many people who are using, say, 12 x 4TB drives will likely just add two more 4TB drives if there is a cost savings, while those with many slots left will migrate to the largest drive size as soon as possible for all future drives they acquire. I have had as many as three different drive sizes in a server with no issues, but I have always opted for the largest drive size available when given the chance as the cost of the chassis should be looked at when total cost of a server is figured out and then the larger drives make far better sense, financially.

Thanks...in my case with all used slots with 4TB each - 5 open slots I can add 5 6TB Drives to add 26 TB (4 + 4+ 6 + 6 +6 = 26 TB) ...

You can definitely add larger disks. No need for them all to match.

As you said, if you added 5 6TB disk cartridges, you would gain 26TB of storage:

3x 6TB
2x 4TB (from the two disks that were providing RAID and hot spare, and will now be used for movie storage)

The other two 6TB drives would be providing RAID protection and a hot spare.

Mike,

Again my question was will the 4tbs still be available once the 6tbs come out. That is still a very large drive and I don't necessarily want the 6tb. Will the 4 tb still be available?

Mike,

Again my question was will the 4tbs still be available once the 6tbs come out. That is still a very large drive and I don't necessarily want the 6tb. Will the 4 tb still be available?

Yes. They will still be available. There is no plan to discontinue them at this time.

So I realize that the K doesn't pre sell releases, but what is the timing on 6tb. Late 4q15 or 1h16, or longer. Or is more complex where the hardware might need tweaking to address increased heat? More efficient fans or power supply?

Thx

6 TB drives are available now. KDISK-6000-L-S is the part number to look/ask for.

The 6TB price is $995. The 4TB price dropped to $795.

Jim

Sorry, the 6TB is not available for the C1.

6TB are available for the 1U, 3U, Terra Server, Alto (when ordered with the 6TB), and the Strato 4K Player (when ordered with the 6TB).

Jim

Good News on the 6 TB

Is there anything special one needs to do when removing discs? For example, if I wanted to upgrade two slots from 3 TB drives to 6 TB ( assume I already have 6 TB RAID and hot spare discs installed) would one just remove a 3TB disc, add a 6 TB and wait for the data to transfer? Seems to be only prudent to do one disc at a time.

Back