• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Ultra HD vs. HDR

Where in the set up is that located, it download the HDR version?

On the Purchase page in the Store, you should see a "Change" option for the Download, select that and check the box of the version you want to download, and uncheck any version you don't want downloaded.

For owners that have paired systems (Premiere and Strato/Terra) this option is under the "Download to" section on the purchase page. I do not recall how it looks when you only have one system, but in any case there should be an option to "Change" the content being downloaded somewhere on the Purchase page.

Jim

It will always try to pull the best it thinks you can display, so not showing an HDR-compatible zone is about the only way programmatically. You could probably simulate that by limiting the player bandwidth in the settings a few minutes before going into a download session. Doing a bulk download and using the matrix selection is probably an easier way of accomplishing it than messing with the recommended selections.
Interesting. I noticed that all the Bond movies I downloaded are in UHD, while most others are HDR. So you are saying that the server/player know which version is best for my projector system?

Interesting. I noticed that all the Bond movies I downloaded are in UHD, while most others are HDR. So you are saying that the server/player know which version is best for my projector system?
No, the server just downloaded the highest quality. Only the more recent Daniel Craig movies were color graded in HDR; all others are UHD only (this is not specific to K).

If your projector didn't support HDR at all (and you didn't have something else in the signal chain to do tone mapping), then the system would have downloaded UHD or even HD since it would have understood that you had no HDR-capable display. Most projectors these days are "capable" of HDR, but may not end up looking as good as they would playing a standard dynamic range version. So for now, selecting your download quality manually is the best option. I hope that we will eventually be able to make this a smoother experience.

If your projector didn't support HDR at all (and you didn't have something else in the signal chain to do tone mapping), then the system would have downloaded UHD or even HD since it would have understood that you had no HDR-capable display. Most projectors these days are "capable" of HDR, but may not end up looking as good as they would playing a standard dynamic range version. So for now, selecting your download quality manually is the best option. I hope that we will eventually be able to make this a smoother experience.
I don´t think this can be made more comfortable. As indicated, having equipment that is "HDR-capable" doesn´t mean HDR would be the best choice. It clearly depends on the specific setup. As i don´t see how to automate this, i think a manual selection will be the best thing to do in this case.

I added a Lumagen to my system last summer and it's the item in my theater that I constantly think "I should have bought that years ago."
Just got my LUMAGEN Radiance Pro today. Finished setting it up and spent the evening watching favorite scenes from movies on K. It really does make a difference!

Question..what projectors can take advantage of HDR? My VPL-VW5000ES puts out 5000 lumens.
It is a common misconception that a brighter projector is better for HDR. While having a lot of light output helps with resolve in the higher nit portions of the image, the point of HDR is in the name "HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE". So peak brightness is not everything because most high brightness projectors actually lack high dynamic range. The 5000ES has a lot of light output and pretty good contrast as long as it hasn't degraded (a known issue with that model unfortunately). I find that as long as a projector can reach around 100 nits on a screen while still retaining a good black floor, you should be fine.

I find that as long as a projector can reach around 100 nits on a screen while still retaining a good black floor, you should be fine.
But in that case, without a videoprocessor doing tonemapping, you´re better off with the non-HDR-version of the movie.
The VW5000ES is not good at displaying HDR-content without a videoprocessor.

I have a JVC NZ8 and a MadVR In the system. The picture looks super when I choose either HDR or UHD. Without doing a A/B comparison which would looks better if both are available on a given title?

Both will look fantastic. There are some titles that the UHD version is derived from a not as ideal trim pass but they are few and far between but the hdr of those may look better in certain scenes of the movie.

Both will look fantastic. There are some titles that the UHD version is derived from a not as ideal trim pass but they are few and far between but the hdr of those may look better in certain scenes of the movie.
Thanks! That is the info I was looking for.

Back