• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

4K Ultra HD vs. HDR

Hi, New user of Kscape.

How can you set up Kscape to download UHD version ( if available ) only ?
Mine seems to always download HDR versions by default. :confused:
It will always try to pull the best it thinks you can display, so not showing an HDR-compatible zone is about the only way programmatically. You could probably simulate that by limiting the player bandwidth in the settings a few minutes before going into a download session. Doing a bulk download and using the matrix selection is probably an easier way of accomplishing it than messing with the recommended selections.

I noticed that lately when I buy a movie off the movie store K includes 2 versions (4K Ultra HD and HDR).
This is great but effectively takes up the space of 2 movies.

My display does have HDR.

Is the HDR version just an enhanced version of the 4K Ultra and I could delete the Ultra version for space?

Not sure which designation better and I have seen some marked HDR but not 4K in name (could just be a labeling thing and it is assumed it is 4K)

Is HDR always a 4K movie?

Thanks!
I was wondering the same thing. After further research it seems movies in HDR are the highest quality, compared to all the other offerings. Hope that helps.

I was wondering the same thing. After further research it seems movies in HDR are the highest quality, compared to all the other offerings. Hope that helps.
Well, there´s more to that as can be read in this thread.

Thank you for letting me know. I see it varies on your setup of equipment.
Yeah, that´s the message: HDR is in theory the highest quality, but the SDR version can be the better choice based on the equipment used. It´s worth to have a closer look before deciding for the one or the other.

I appreciate you letting me know. Although I have only had the system 2 weeks and only downloaded the HDR versions when available. So far it looks great depending on the movie. James Bond and Star Wars has never looked or sounded better. I haven’t tried the UHD version and switched to see which is better on my display, which has HDR and tone mapping. When time permits I will try and A B it. Thanks again!

haven’t tried the UHD version and switched to see which is better on my display, which has HDR and tone mapping.
With using a display, i can imagine the HDR is the better choice, indeed.

Thank you, it is a Sony projector and 120" screen, if that helps. I really appreciate the advice!
Now, i´m confused. In the post above, you wrote "display", that was the reason i assumed you were talking about a TV - hence my response.
If you have a Sony projector (these are not known to have a good tonemapping onboard), then i´d definitely do an A/B test with the HDR and UHD-version.

Now, i´m confused. In the post above, you wrote "display", that was the reason i assumed you were talking about a TV - hence my response.
If you have a Sony projector (these are not known to have a good tonemapping onboard), then i´d definitely do an A/B test with the HDR and UHD-version.
Unfortunately it really depends on the transfer. I also have a Sony projector (the XW6000ES). Some HDR transfers looks amazing and really pop off the screen with deep blacks. Others look way too dark and if a UHD version is available I will download that version. Usually the UHD will be brighter (but will lack the pop of the HDR). Someday they'll be some form of standard, but for now it seems to vary from title to title.

Unfortunately it really depends on the transfer. I also have a Sony projector (the XW6000ES). Some HDR transfers looks amazing and really pop off the screen with deep blacks. Others look way too dark and if a UHD version is available I will download that version. Usually the UHD will be brighter (but will lack the pop of the HDR). Someday they'll be some form of standard, but for now it seems to vary from title to title.
Do you have an external video processor to do the HDR->SDR tonemapping? People are raving about both the Lumagen and MadVR for tonemapping since most projectors are outputting way less than 1000 nits.

Do you have an external video processor to do the HDR->SDR tonemapping? People are raving about both the Lumagen and MadVR for tonemapping since most projectors are outputting way less than 1000 nits.
Due to his impression that some titles look way too dark, i´d assume he doesn´t have one.

Unfortunately not. I would love to get a MadVR or Lumagen at some point, but not in the budget at the moment.

Unfortunately not. I would love to get a MadVR or Lumagen at some point, but not in the budget at the moment.
I hesitated for a while but finally pulled the trigger last year. Easily the best money I’ve spent in the HT game. The DTM algorithms continue to improve also so every month or so the view just keeps getting better.

I hesitated for a while but finally pulled the trigger last year. Easily the best money I’ve spent in the HT game. The DTM algorithms continue to improve also so every month or so the view just keeps getting better.
Which one did you get?

The Sony 6000ES uses static tone mapping (though you can have different results with their different modes) so while some movies may look great, others may not. I would definitely consider using the UHD versions if you don't have an external processor, but I don't think using the HDR versions will result in a bad experience most of the time.

Back