• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3U server power up problem

gsj932

HI All
i have bought a used 3U server to add to my existing system and when trying to power it up the fans kick in but the drives don't?
the network light is green on the rear but i cant find the server on the network when i search.
the guy who i purchased from insists it was working fine when uninstalled and I have no reason not to believe him.
any help would be appreciated
thank you

The OS is on the drives, so with no drives it will never fully boot.

Probably the back plane or something else had jarred loose in shipping. Open it up and carefully reseat everything, including the drives. Hopefully that gets it going.

Kevin D.

You should send an email to Kaleidescape Support (support@kaleidescape.com) and have them look at the history of the server. Obviously they can only look back to the last time it was connected to K online, but that sometimes is enough to provide some guidance. They "may" also be able to see it currently if you have it connected online, but your inability to reach the browser may prove problematic for them as well.

Given what you are seeing, it could be several issues, from a possible internal connection problem caused by shipping (I'm assuming what you were told is accurate), or perhaps a power supply going bad (failing) that manifested during the power On process after being off for a while. There are other possibilities as well, which is why I'd contact support.

Jim

Just saw what Kevin D posted, and he's correct, and gave you something else to try before contacting K. Given it is OOW, opening the case is no problem.

Jim

Hi
Thank you for your quick response.
is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I open it up.
I’m not familiar with it really although I did change a power supply in my existing 3U server a couple of years ago but I had the simple step by step instructions to follow.

I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again
Very much appreciated
Regards
GSJ

How many HDDs do you have installed? There is an inrush current spike during start up, if your power supply is failing it is not providing enough current to the Sata board.

HI All
UPDATE
I opened the unit up and there was no obvious loose connections.
It was very clean in there but i vacuumed / blew it out.
i removed the top row of fans and check all the connections i could access.
i tried powering it up again while open and the top fan array removed but there was no difference.
giving up i reassembled it and closed the case.
i powered it up again and the drives started lighting up!!!
not sure why or what i did but something worked.
unfortunately 6 drives have stayed on solid amber - the guy i bought it from said that no.14 drive had already failed which i had already removed -
i checked on the kaleidescape website and followed the instructions for seating the drives etc. but no change.
the guy i bought it from says it has been 'powered down / uninstalled' over 12 months but when checked before sale just the no.14 drive was showing as failed.
the other thing that is still strange is i can't find it on my network even scanning from 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 even though the network lights on the back are on and blinking as you would expect.
any thoughts woul dbe welcome
thank you
GSJ

1688720080119.jpeg
1688720102907.jpeg

that's a bit beyond my ability to be honest, but thank you.
if there's no other way I'll get someone else to do that.
regards
GSJ

The amber lights on the HDDs can mean one of two things:
1. Those drives are not part of the original file system and have been rejected; or,
2. Those drives have failed.

If the issue is item 1 (not very likely), then the server should be operating but might have a static IP configured (as others above have suggested).

However if it's item 2 (much more likely), then the file system is no longer viable and the entire disk set will need to be replaced. The filesystem can only survive a single disk failure at a time (unless the failed drives _never_ had any content written to them which, for a used server, is unlikely).

The problem I see is with 7 failed drives, it is going to cost you a fortune to replace all of the disks.
Even if it was set to DHCP now or easily accomplished, it's still going to be a costly endeavor.
Return it to the seller and find something else.
JMO,

Chris

hi

all noted and appreciated.

can anyone give me a 'risk factor' for taking all the disk out of the 3U server and replacing them with the four disks from one of my 1U servers to test the 3U chassis?
am i just asking for trouble?

thank you

hi

all noted and appreciated.

can anyone give me a 'risk factor' for taking all the disk out of the 3U server and replacing them with the four disks from one of my 1U servers to test the 3U chassis?
am i just asking for trouble?

thank you
That should be safe. Just be sure to have the server chassis' completely powered off when you remove/replace the disk sets (and don't try to mix the disks from the two different servers).

The 4-disk set from a 1U server will work just fine in a 3U server but it will report that the file system is missing a hot spare (since 1U servers don't have one).

Hi All
following a house move last August i have finally got around to having another go at this 3U server.

i have taken all the disks out and replaced them with a working set from a 1U server.
it has powered up no problem and the disks are lit blue but the system lights yellow even though it is connected to my network switch and even when direct into my router
i have found the ip address but when i try to connect direct on my pc it brings this page/message up -

Hmmm… can't reach this page​

192.168.1.138 refused to connect.​

Try:​

ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED​

this is using microsoft edge but gives a similar message on chrome.
i have a feeling it is still something to do with the ip address but not at all sure?

any help, thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

thank you

Is your home network 192.168.1.xxx? If not you'll have to manually change your computer IP to something in that range in order to connect and set the server to DHCP. After that, change your computer back and find it again at it's new address.

The yellow light is probably indicating you are missing your hot spare.

Kevin D.

Hi Kevin

Thank you your reply.

Yes my network is on 192.168.1.xxx
All my working system is along with the other normal stuff too.

When I tried to set the server up last summer the ip address didn’t show up on any scans, so I’m a little puzzled why it is now?

My existing kaleidescape system isn’t picking it up and when I try to look for open ports through the scanner there is only a strange one that shows up.

I didn’t think about the orange light meaning no back up drive, good call as it stays blue until the other drives boot up so I think you are correct.

I have a friend who knows his way around computers better than me and I’ve asked him to pop around to look into trying to get into the system to check the ip address through the serial route which is beyond me completely.

Any other thoughts that come to mind please let me know.

Thanks again

Gareth

I'd try to confirm the IP address with K Support. Leave it powered On and connected to the WAN so K Support can attempt to reach it. Send an email (or call Support) and provide them with the serial number of the server, they'll use that to try and reach it and confirm the IP for you. If they cannot reach it, then it may be a failure related to the Ethernet in the server. (Based on your comments I'm assuming you are on the correct LAN at your location (IP, Subnet, etc.)

Jim

Back