• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

3To hard drives

olivierLA75

Does someone have any idea when the 3 terabytes drives will be released by K? Seems the same drives used in K 2To are out now in 3 To capacity since 2-3 months.
thanks
olivier

The standard answer from K still applies. They are always looking to increase drive size, but are selective in the drives they use. Just because the drives are available doesn't mean K will find them acceptable when they test them for reliability. The process usually involves several months at K after the enterprise level drives are released for K's evaluation. They also try to test more than one manufacturer at a time before selecting the new drive (which is why the manufacturer changes from time to time).

Bottom line is that no announcements have been made, but I expect we will hear something this year, perhaps sooner rather than later.:)

Jim

Good. I've got six full 750GB drives in two 1U servers that I'd like to replicate down to two 3GB drives in one server. The sooner the new disc drive is released the better!

I expect I am not alone in having a growing collection of BluRay discs yet to be imported while I wait for larger drive sizes to be released. The IDV and larger drive sizes by the year end hopefully.

The fun part will be that by the time 3T drives hit, 4T shouldn't be too far behind. Wait or jump? I'm hoping that the interim (3T) size doesn't become as prominent as it did last time (1T.)

I have little choice, BR is chewing up too many 750GB discs. I will change my whole file system to 3TB discs when they become available, I can't wait for the 4TB's. Blame it all on the MDV!

For my needs 4TB drives will give me enough storage without having to get another server. 3TB will be a useful upgrade until they become available but 4TB is what I am really waiting for, its annoying having films not on the server.

4TB drives will make BR storage a lot more viable for many owners.

I have little choice, BR is chewing up too many 750GB discs. I will change my whole file system to 3TB discs when they become available, I can't wait for the 4TB's. Blame it all on the MDV!

When you have 4TB drives, you will get an IDV and be in the same boat, yes?

No, I won't be buying an IDV. With only 35 BR titles in my collection I'm a long way off before filling the MDV. IDV won't do for me anything that I can't do at the moment, nor for the forseeable future. Not unless, of course, they surprise us with full resolution decoding to LPCM in which case I would be very tempted to buy IDV.

Back