• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2TB Disk Drives Now Available

DigitalStudioWerks

⭐️ Premium ⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Kaleidescape is pleased to announce the availability of 2 TB Disk Cartridges for 1U and 3U Servers. These Disk Cartridges store twice the number of movies, doubling the maximum capacity of each server. A 1U Server can now store up to 900 DVDs, and a 3U Server up to 3,600.

Not only does the 2 TB Disk Cartridge provide twice as much capacity, it also delivers greater efficiency. A 2 TB Disk Cartridge consumes 12% less power than a 1 TB Disk Cartridge and produces less heat.

For more information and pricing contact your Kaleidescape dealer.

Thanks James, you beat me to it!:D

Nice to finally get these released.

Jim

Also FYI, K has stated the 1TB disks will only be available for purchase until November 30th (or until supplies run out), if that matters to anyone.

(The 2TB do cost more than the 1TB. As James mentioned, your dealer can provide pricing info).

Jim

Yeah, but at only a 25% cost difference, I don't know why anybody would want to pick up 1TB drives.

Well that tempers my excitement some...
To my knowledge this is the first time that new drive sizes come out at higher prices. traditionally, they roll out new sizes and maintain the price points.

Before someone points it out, it's true this may also be the first time the new size is a full 100% larger than the one it replaces, so yes, I guess you could say that the price per megabyte has probably gone to a new low.

but still, the drives are overpriced as is, so I was still expecting continuation of the "bigger drive, same price" thing.

Any details on how this impacts the 5U-to-3U server tradein program? In the past, the drives were "free" when you bought the empty 3u... however many drives you needed to get to equivalent storage from what you had in the 5u. If you do that now, do you get 1TB or 2TB drives? are they still "free"?

I'd presume, since they need far fewer of them now to get you to that "equivalent" storage, that it benefits both K and the user to give out equivalent storage in 2TB drives, and keep them as "free".

Any details on how this impacts the 5U-to-3U server tradein program? In the past, the drives were "free" when you bought the empty 3u... however many drives you needed to get to equivalent storage from what you had in the 5u. If you do that now, do you get 1TB or 2TB drives? are they still "free"?

I'd presume, since they need far fewer of them now to get you to that "equivalent" storage, that it benefits both K and the user to give out equivalent storage in 2TB drives, and keep them as "free".

Yes, you will get 2TB disks to replace your current storage capacity, and they will be rounded up. You also receive 2-2TB disks for RAID and Hot Spare. Here's an example:

A 5U Server with 11 500GB disks of storage (5.5TB) and one RAID-K disk would result in the Owner receiving a 3U Server containing 5 2TB disks (3 disks for storage (rounding up from 5.5 to 6TB), one RAID-K disk, and one Hot Spare disk.

Jim

Last edited:
Regarding pricing of the new 2TB disks. I'm only speculating here, but I think K may have originally lowered the cost of the 1TB disks in anticipation of releasing the larger disks at the "then" cost of the 1TBs, which obviously took longer than expected to be released. We are now back to the original price of the 1TB disks (and the 750's).

In other words, I think K's pricing is actually in keeping with their apparent policy of releasing new larger disks at the same cost as the lower capacity disks (500 > 750 > 1TB > 2TB all had the same starting msrp).

Jim

Here's an example:

A 5U Server with 11 1TB disks of storage (5.5TB) and one RAID-K disk would result in the Owner receiving a 3U Server containing 5 2TB disks (3 disks for storage (rounding up from 5.5 to 6TB), one RAID-K disk, and one Hot Spare disk.

This doesn't really negate your example but I'd like to point out that the largest disk cartridge available for the 5U is/was 750GB. There are no 1TB disks for 5U. But something is hinkey with the the math above because a fully populated 5U with 750GB cartridges will have just over 8TB available, not 5.5.

CineLife's example makes sense if you assume the 5U is fully loaded with 500 GB drives (11 500 GB drives and 1 500 GB RAID drive), instead of fully loaded with 750GB drives. This yields 5.5 TB of useable storage with the extra 12th slot used for RAID.

The 5U maxes out at 8.25 TB with 750 GB drives as pointed out above. That's what I have now as well as a maxed out 5U server with 300 GB drives. If I were to upgrade I would have 11.55 TB needed to move all of the content onto a 3U.

Under CineLife's example, I would get 6 drives (2 TB totaling 12 TB) to cover my capacity via the trade-in program, as well as a 2TB for hot spare and another 2TB for the RAID configuration, or a total of 8 2TB drives with the purchase of a 3U, and then sending the 2 5U servers (plus drives) back to K.

Hope that helps the discussion.

I knew this news must have been in the wind, for when I asked K support about it just the other day was told that if it hasn't been officially announced by the company then he couldn't say...but I could tell from the tone that it would be real soon. And so it was!

Thanks for pointing out the posting error!!!:eek::eek:

I had 1TB disks on the brain when I posted the example. I intended to indicate 500GB disks, but got distracted (I edited the post).

It's my wife's fault. I'm not sure how, but it is definately her fault.:D:D:D

Jim

Can you mix and match 1TB and 2TB drives

Can you add 2TB drives to a 3U server that is partially populated with 1TB drives?

Yes, you can add 2TB drives to your 3U server partially populated with 1TB drives. When you add the first 2TB drive, it will become the hot spare, and the "old" 1TB hot spare will be added to storage--i.e., the system will get an additional 1TB of storage. When you add the second 2TB drove, then the system will use 1TB of that capacity to store additional parity information for the system and 1TB will be added to the system's storage capacity. Beginning with the 3rd 2TB disk, the entire capacity of the disk (2TB) will be added to the array's storage capacity.

Thanks

Great, thanks, for the prompt reply. Makes sense. Too bad I only very recently upgraded 2 5U servers for 2 3U's with 1 TB drives!

The math above confuses me. So I have a few questions: (1) do the 3U servers use both a RAID disk and a hot swap drive? I thought that the whole point of a RAID drive is that you can swap it out if it fails. Indeed, one of the drives in my 5U server failed, and I was able to hot swap it. (2) how is your curent disk space calculated for trade-up purposes? Is the idea to get you the same amount of available space or to match what you had before. For example, in my 5U server, I have six 400 GB drives and six 750 GB drives. I believe that that means that I have 6.150 TB of available space and the last 750 GB drive being used for RAID. So what would I get if I did the trade in and chose 2 TB drives? If there needs to be one RAID drive and one Hot Swap drive, I would assume that I'd need at least five 2 TB drives, though that would leave me with only 6 TB of space. But this is less than the 6.15 TB that I think I have now (though that calculation could be wrong). Or would I just get four 2 TB drives (rounding up from the 6.9 TB total disk space I have now)?

Back