• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

FOR SALE: $2,900.00 5U server with Mini player 1080P

labacom

Kaleidescape 5U server model 2000 (first model) from our showroom with 5 x 300 gig hard drives but have room for lots more 750 gig hard drives. Capacity right now is about 110 DVD's and 15 CD's for music. This server is about 5 or 6 years old but is off most of the time, just turned it on to watch a movie or demonstrate to a client. Server comes with a mini 1080P player about a year old and a new remote control sealed in a box. This player upconverts regular DVD's to 1080P picture and can be installed behind a TV because its very small. We are selling it because we are upgrading to Blu-Ray player and smaller size server (we have to travel with server to show clients)
This server does not have the option to import movies because this player does not have a DVD tray.
We will ship the server after we get your payment verfied. in the picture it shows the server inside a small rack but I am not selling the rack and enclosure.
I will include a brand new in the box remote control by Kaleidescape so that you can use this player. Server will come with no movies per my agreement with Kaleidescape.
Server model
KSERVER-2000-E
Serial # 0000-0000-1471

Attachments

• IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
.........This server does not have the option to import movies because this player does not have a DVD tray.........

For those reading this post keep in mind the Seller is NOT saying you cannot import movies. Of course the Server WILL store movies but you need to purchase a separate Reader or Movie Player that has an import tray in order to import movies to the Server.:)

Jim

Are 750GB drives even available for purchase anymore from K? or would it have to be in the secondary market?

Knowing that you need an M300 or M500 player to play Bluray, and a disk vault to make it worth it, can this server work with the bluray ecosystem?

Assuming that the server could be filled with 5U cartridges and the largest each one could be is 750GB in size, how many blurays could this hold?

And what about streaming Blurays- how many simultaneous bluray streams could it produce?

Thank you.

The KSERVER-2000 did not have GigE, but 100mbit ethernet so I would have to guess that 2 BluRay streams would be the most one could expect from it.

Hi iansilv,

I will check how many Blu-rays will fit. As the other gentleman said this server did not have the gigabit card so it may be limited to one stream (maybe two) it can do 5 streams of regular DVDs and or CDs

Ron

How many Blu-Ray will fit in the 5U

Hi Iansliv,

Each Blu ray takes about 40 gig or less, I think the 5U will fit around 225 Blu-rays.

Thanks
Ron

A 750 GB drive will hold about 19 BluRay titles, so a fully loaded 5U server can handle up to ~210 BluRay discs.

Well, I no longer have my KSERVER-2000, I traded that in for my 3U server, but it was able to do 2 streams of Kalahari, which was a 40mbit bitrate MPEG2 file. It should have no issues handling 2 simultaneous streams of BluRay. Beyond that, I do not know. I suspect it might be able to do 3 streams but with TCP/IP overhead and the variable bit rate of BluRay, one might see some issues if 3 streams all have high bit rate requirements at the same time. I certainly wouldn't want to guarantee a 100 mbit line being able to reliably stream data rates that can have up to 40mbit data rates. If somebody wanted to test it out, they could always put a 100mbit switch on a 3U server and see if it could deliver 3 Bluray titles reliably. I don't have any 100mbit managed switches to test it with.

If you assume an average bit rate of 36 Mbit for BR (can be up to 40, IIRC), then doing the math would indicate probably no more than two simultaneous streams.

Jim

Yes, although some titles have had lower bit rates. I don't know the actual bit rate for The Bank Job, but it was an incredibly fast load on my system and it is a single layer BD so I am going to have to assume that the bit rate isn't so high. It would be interesting to see all the technical details of the titles on a Kaleidescape system, like total file size, bitrate, etc. Too bad they don't have an area for us to see such information similar to the installer web interface tool.

do you know what size disks I can install in the server ? can I buy 1TB disks? will they work ?

Ephi

Back