• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

2.35 Anamorphic Content

katzha

I am a new Kscape owner (although I have loaded some 2800 DVDs onto two servers, so I am feeling like a veteran). My system has a 12 foot wide CIH screen, with an insertable anamorphic lens. So far as I can tell, however, 2.35 content is displayed letterboxed by Kscape, with no way to use the anamorphic image. Is there some way to set this up so the 2.35 content displays full screen?

Hi. What video processor are you using? Pardon me if this is rudimentary but the K player should of course be set to 16:9- which means a 2.35 movie does have letterboxing. With your anamorphic lens being used the image will be pulled horizontally. You need a video processor with an anamorphic lens compensation mode to pull the image vertically to equalize the geometry of the image- in essence lopping off the letterbox areas at the top and bottom of the image. Btw- Kudos on going CIH.

best regards,
Jerry

I am a new Kscape owner (although I have loaded some 2800 DVDs onto two servers, so I am feeling like a veteran). My system has a 12 foot wide CIH screen, with an insertable anamorphic lens. So far as I can tell, however, 2.35 content is displayed letterboxed by Kscape, with no way to use the anamorphic image. Is there some way to set this up so the 2.35 content displays full screen?

Sorry, but no, the K Player's do not provide the anamorphic stretch for 2.35.

Jim

Thank you both.

I do not want Kscape to strech anything. I would like Kscape to project the unstreched 16:9 compressed image so my lens can strech it out to 2.35:1.

My processor is a DPI VIP-2000, essentially a reference Silicon Optix Realta design. The idea that it could do the vertical strech is interesting, and I will explore that.

What anamorphic lens are you using? (Panamorph, ISCO, Prismasonic, Schneider, others)

Jim

By the way, if you happen to be using Crestron equipment as your control system, the newly released Kaleidescape modules (published mid-August) for Crestron have new signals to support anamorphic lenses. Now, properly bookmarked content is able to signal when your content is 2.35:1 and anamorphic or simply anamorphic but not 2.35:1 without having to setup a complicated matrix of signals. The two new signals are:

* [16x9_Frame_with_2.35_Image]
* [16x9_Frame_with_non-2.35_Image]

Last edited:
By the way, if you happen to be using Crestron equipment as your control system, the newly released Kaleidescape modules (published mid-August) for Crestron have new signals to support anamorphic lenses. Now, properly bookmarked content is able to signal when your content is 2.35:1 and anamorphic or simply anamorphic but not 2.35:1 without having to setup a complicated matrix of signals. The two new signals are:

* [16x9_Frame_with_2.35_Image]
* [16x9_Frame_with_non-2.35_Image]

wait- I thought K sent out a very specific signal as to the AR of each movie being played?

wait- I thought K sent out a very specific signal as to the AR of each movie being played?

It does. These two new signals are in addition to the AR information. These just make it easier to decided when to move the panamorphic lens in and out of the picture.

I just wish an anamorphic lens company would come up with a system to infinitely adjust for all ARs as sent from K.

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a few weeks dealing with a funeral and travel. I've just rejoined this discussion.

I'm slightly confused. I'm no longer sure about the OP's original question, so feel free to correct/elaborate.

Are you wanting the K-Player to do the vertical stretch necessary to fill the vertical lines of the screen (using all 1080 lines) on 2.35 content? (to allow your lens to then stretch horizontally to fill a 2.35 AR screen) (I'm assuming your display is 1920x1080)

I only ask because in an earlier post you stated you didn't want K to stretch anything.

Jim

I would like the KScape to project anamorphic 2.35 content without modification 16:9, so the anamorphic lens can expand it to 2.35. As it stands, the KScape shows the content with bars.

You are correct- right now you need a stand a lone video processor- but- that would be the same for watching 2.35 content from other sources as well. Most 2.35 setups will require some form of outboard video processor. I do not see this as a deficiency on K's side.

More worrying to me is the recent email I just got from K stating that their new players are as good as Blu Ray and therefore there is no need to go to Blu Ray. I forget the exact size of my screen now but it is 2.40:1 and fairly large and in this setup HD native content is very much appreciated and I am very concerned with this new message. You can not create true 1080P from 480P.

Jerry,

No need for concern. K is just promoting the new players which were in the planning process long before their BR announcement.

In keeping with K's desire to provide us with the best experience possible, they are always looking to improve hardware and software which is why these new players were launched. There is no plan to "substitute" these players for BR. The marketing speak (rivals BR) was intended to indicate how much better the image is with these new players, and nothing more.

K is still working on a BR solution and still plans a 2009 implementation. What this will look like is perhaps the only question to be answered and that determination is obviously affected by the BR folks (DRM,etc), which at this point is not been decided.

No worries!:)

Jim

Thanks Jim. I just worry when I see something that looks like a change of direction. I have no doubt the new players are excellent and on smaller displays, for many people I would recommend they think hard about repurchasing content in HD, but on larger, high quality displays, there is a big difference. Even on older movies, if the mastering is good. Warner's "The Searchers" comes to mind. Great movie, a great HDDVD.

No. I have an external processor (a Digital Projection VIP 2000, which is a Realta reference design). I don't want to process anything. I just want the KScape to put up the 16x9 image full screen. It refuses to do that. It insists on surrounding the image with bars. I was told at CEDIA that the new player corrects this.

No. I have an external processor (a Digital Projection VIP 2000, which is a Realta reference design). I don't want to process anything. I just want the KScape to put up the 16x9 image full screen. It refuses to do that. It insists on surrounding the image with bars. I was told at CEDIA that the new player corrects this.

Jerry isn't talking about "processing" anything either. He is referring to the processors ability to fill the 16:9 panel (which effectively "stretches" the image vertically). Your lens does the rest. (But I think you know this already).

You are wanting the KPlayer to do the vertical stretch. The fact sheet does reference the ability to "zoom" a "letterboxed" (I assume 2.xx content) to "fill a 16:9 display," but my 1080p player isn't here yet so I'm unable to verify if that means "stretch" (which distorts the image vertically and allows for the lens to correct that vertical distortion), or if that means the player is filling the display and cutting off the ends (typical zoom) to keep the image in a proper perspective (i.e. not an elongated image). The latter would NOT be affected by a lens, and would only distort the image horizontally.

Jim

Back