• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1u server has power but no status light or newtwork connectiob

dthemenice

I have 2 1u servers on my network. One if them is showing the power button blue, but no status light, and no ethernet lights are lit on the switch or the server itself. Obviously it's not showing up on my component list. Any idea as to why I have lost connectivity? I have switched ports on the switch and ethernet wires and confirmed it is not the switch or the ethernet cables.

Obviously I don't know for certain, but that description has historically been an indication of a mainboard/ethernet failure. I've never been told specifically what the failure was, just "likely a board or ethernet failure." Again, it could be something else, but that's what I've always been told when our clients report that problem.

Jim

Obviously I don't know for certain, but that description has historically been an indication of a mainboard/ethernet failure. I've never been told specifically what the failure was, just "likely a board or ethernet failure." Again, it could be something else, but that's what I've always been told when our clients report that problem.

Jim
Well so much for a simple fix

Well so much for a simple fix

Keep in mind I'm NOT support, I'm just relaying what I've been told over the years with the symptom you described. Always get K Support's take on the problem. If it was online when something failed, Support may see something in the Server logs.

In any case, there is no repair service, so knowing the cause may not be helpful.

Jim

Keep in mind I'm NOT support, I'm just relaying what I've been told over the years with the symptom you described. Always get K Support's take on the problem. If it was online when something failed, Support may see something in the Server logs.

In any case, there is no repair service, so knowing the cause may not be helpful.

Jim
I was planning on calling them monday

Are the disk cartridges lighting up? There is potential that the server is not completing the boot process which would also prevent it from attaching to the network. Pull the front bezel off and watch the lights during boot sequence. It should take about 2-3 min to boot and during that time you should see the disks light up and down and ultimately stay on.

Just something else to check.

Good luck,
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Building upon what Andy wrote it could also be that the PSU that isn't able to supply the needed power, it looks to work but doesn't fully. I had a similar problem but there was also a disk that was producing lots of errors (K-Scape identified the issue) so a new PSU and disk installed and the server is still running 2 years later.

With the bezel off I can hit the power button and it will light, but I don't get anything else. All of the drives have been replaced with 6TB drives in the past 2 years.

Sounds like the PSU is gone. Original PSU's were impossible to find (at least for me anyway) so I did find an alternative solution that I posted on the forum a couple of years ago that is still a working solution for a couple of 1U's I have and the cost is <$200 and easy to do, have a search for

1U power supply replacement (maybe)​

I'll second what Mark is saying. The PSU is more than likely the cause, I had chats with Rusty about this where it looks like the PSU is fine and the board is dead but actually the PSU is faulty and given a false positive effectively. I almost binned a 1U because of this, put in a "fresh" PSU and all came alive :)

I have ordered the parts from Amazon to try Mark's PSU solution hopefully I will know something in the next week or so.

I have ordered the parts from Amazon to try Mark's PSU solution hopefully I will know something in the next week or so.
Fingers crossed 🤞 On the plus side it is a relatively cheap on compared to the alternatives so good luck.

Back