• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1u server bezel doesn't make good contact with chassis

bedbuged

Curious if anyone else has this issue...

The faceplate/bezel for my 1u server no longer seems to sit perfectly flush against the chassis. As a result the front panel lights sometimes flicker on and off, or just don't light at all because the contacts on the back of the bezel are not making good contact with their counterparts on the chassis. I have owned more than 1u server since being a Kaleidescape owner, and all of them except for the very first one I ever purchased have had this problem.

My workaround is to pull the plastic piece on the server chassis (that houses the front panel contacts and the secondary power button) forward slightly and wedge a thin piece of cardboard behind it in order to make it stick out a little further so the contacts will now reach those on the bezel and light the front panel.

While this works, I keep thinking to myself that this is ridiculous to have to resort to doing this on a $10k piece of gear just to keep the front panel lights on. I am wondering if this is a design flaw or if something has caused my chassis to flex and become unaligned/out of square? Could my front panel/bezel have warped or bowed? Nothing looks out of the ordinary... I'm stumped.

I've encountered this issue on a couple of 3U's over the years. The small contact pins can, over time, get pressed into the case just enough to affect contact. With one 3U I was able to pull them back out with needle nose pliers, the other was sent back to K for minor repair. If it is still under warranty, you might consider sending it in if it is that bothersome. Personally, I no longer have Server panel lights "on", they are in a rack and out-of-sight in any case.

Jim

Back