• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

NEWS: 1TB for 5U

cinelife

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Authorized Kaleidescape Dealer
Not sure if this was posted earlier, but 1TB disks are indeed available for 5U Servers. Retail is $995.

Jim

I saw that and was a bit shocked. I need to call them as I think it is a typo. The 5U server uses Parallel (EIDE) interface, not SATA and the EIDE interface has an adress limit to drive sizes that stopped them at 750gb.

Checking pricewatch.com, the largest drive they have is 750gb. I certainly would have expected that if the 750GB cap of parallel ATA drives it would have made enough news for me to hear it elsewhere.

I placed a call and they are going to get back to me. I am thinking they may have used a serial ATA drive and found a way to get a converted into the drive chassis. Even then, many devices won't take a drive over the 750GB limit (I know this from experience) but they may have patched the firmware on the 5U servers to take care of this. I hope to have confirmation later.

The 1TB's are definately available for the 5U.:)

Jim

Nice to see 5U Servers are still being actively supported.

Though I expect many owners of 5U Servers are not aware that 1TB drives are now available.

Back