• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1remote for Kaleidescape is here

1remote

1remote for Kaleidescape is an iPhone and iPad remote control application for Kaleidescape that gives you full movie and music control! You can even browse your entire collection when you are not at home.

Check it out here:

App Store url: http://itunes.apple.com/app/1remote/id417634358?mt=8

and/or

1remote url: http://www.1remote.me/kaleidescape.html

iPhoneMovies.jpg

iPadLandscapeMovies.png

Thanks for posting!

Jim

When they say an App like this is designed for iPhone/iPod/iPad (i.e. only one choice to download), how is this different to say, Remotescape, which has a different version for iPad and iPhone at different price points?
BTW in the Australian App store 1remote is $104.99 (or about $112 usd), in the US App store it's 84.99 usd, Apple is ripping us off by $27!!

The difference is that the 1remote app uses pretty much the same user interface (just with cover art scaled up etc. for the iPad), whereas Remotescape uses some iPad specific user interface components that are not compatible with the iPhone and iPod Touch. They therefore need two different apps and have chosen to price them differently.
Regarding the price difference then we unfortunately have no control over that. We simply choose a price tier for which Apple has set the prices in the different currencies using some conversion rate. What they base that rate on we simply don’t know, but they have probably built in some considerable margin for currency fluctuations. Further to that Apple charge us a 30% handling fee so you are not the only one feeling the squeeze!

Viewing the video, this app looks very intriguing and has some good UI features. Not planning on spending money for another expensive iphone/ipad remote app just yet. (REALLY wish there were a 'lite' version or a time-limited version one could try for free)

Yes we've tried to give the 1remote app a clean and easy to use interface with many functions actionable via gestures. Once you know the gestures you'll find it much easier to control the Kaleidescape interface for example as you don't need to look at the remote at the same time. We are also open to feature requests which we'll implement if found feasible. The latest new features for example were implemented following suggestions from customers. These include a new fast media sync from the latest imported list and the ability to use pinch gestures in landscape cover art mode to change the number of covers displayed. The latter for example allows you to get an overview of just 6 or up to 120 movies on an iPad, thus making it quicker to find the movie, or for that matter album, you want to play if you have a large collection. See screen shots below.

Jesper

1remoteLSM3.png
1remoteLSM15.png

From the video, it looks like a movie is selected by a search function narrowing down the list view to a single named title and then plays the movie.

Is this the same for the Remotescape app? Or does it directly access the movie without using the list search function.

Yes that's pretty much how it works. The reason for this is that there isn't currently a Kaleidescape public API that allows you to play a movie given it's unique handle ? at least not one that I'm aware of. I believe that the reason for this omission is that Kaleidescape basically wants you to select the movie that you want to play on the TV via their on screen interface. When you have a fair number of movies though, I personally, find it hard to find the movie I want to play on the TV (even on a 50"). It's so much easier on the iPhone/iPad and then you just have to hit play and it will find and play the movie for you. It would of cause be a better experience if the playback was instant as with music but we'll have to wait until Kaleidescape decides to provide a public API for it I'm afraid.

As for RemoteScape I don't know how it works so maybe if someone that has it can comment on it here? With most other remotes though, you have to select the movie first via the Kaleidescape on screen interface.

Jesper

Yes that's pretty much how it works. The reason for this is that there isn't currently a Kaleidescape public API that allows you to play a movie given it's unique handle ? at least not one that I'm aware of. I believe that the reason for this omission is that Kaleidescape basically wants you to select the movie that you want to play on the TV via their on screen interface. When you have a fair number of movies though, I personally, find it hard to find the movie I want to play on the TV (even on a 50"). It's so much easier on the iPhone/iPad and then you just have to hit play and it will find and play the movie for you. It would of cause be a better experience if the playback was instant as with music but we'll have to wait until Kaleidescape decides to provide a public API for it I'm afraid.

As for RemoteScape I don't know how it works so maybe if someone that has it can comment on it here? With most other remotes though, you have to select the movie first via the Kaleidescape on screen interface.

Jesper

Just got a new Ipad 2 and decided to buy this app. I must say I'm very disappointed with the stability - or lack thereof - of this app. When starting, the app requires synchronization with my kaleidescape system. I told it to synch both movies and music. Each time it attempts to synchronize, it gets stuck on the movies. Specifically, stuck at ?487 of 1277 movies synchronized?. I have restarted multiple times and yet it still gets stuck at the same point.

So, I decided to just have it synchronize music. After synchronizing my roughly 1400 CDs, when I then went to select one of the music zones, the app crashed. It does this each time I attempt to access any music zones. Also, whenever I pick a video zone - even though the synchronization failed (as described above) - the app crashes. Apps shouldn't crash - especially not for the price they are charging.

Final nit - the app only worked in portait mode. Does not reorient to landscape.

Just a *very* disappointing experience.

Yes I'm having the same issue with my iPhone.. it crashes when i attempt to select a player. However I'm sure these are bugs that can be ironed out. Personally I'm quite excited about it as at least it can see my KS server! Remotescape doesn't, as it sniffs out broadcast packets which my LAN can't see as they are different subnets..
As long as they fix it I'm still keen to give it a go..

Joe,

As per support email I'm sorry that you are having issues with the app and you are of cause welcome to request a refund from Apple via iTunes as I would not want any unhappy customers.

I can assure you that the app normally works fine, but unfortunately the latest update (v1.0.5) has introduced an issue in the zone select for some users. A fix for this will be produced and uploaded as soon as possible.

Regarding landscape mode then this is only supported from the movie/music list view which, if you are having the zone select issue, you wouldn't have been able to get to.

Jesper

Thanks Jesper for the hint..
It works a treat now.. and the movie covers in landscape mode is just fantastic..
Just what we've been after..
keep up the good work
Jerry

That's great.

As I mentioned in the support email the issue turned out to be a silly mistake in the new custom controller commands added for v1.0.5. A fix for this has been uploaded and should be available sometime next week depending on Apple's review time.

Note for anyone else that may have the same issue you can use the following workaround for now:

Go to settings and hit the Room Id field. Then on the next screen type in a room name (anything will do) e.g. "Living" and then hit the Add button. Then hit the top right Done button and the same again on the settings screen to return back to the Select Zone/Player screen.
You should then be able to select a zone/player without any issues.

Lastly returning to sbutter's question can anyone that have the Remotescape app please explain how the 'play movie' function works there?

Lastly returning to sbutter's question can anyone that have the Remotescape app please explain how the 'play movie' function works there?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but taken as read.

In Remotescape, from "Movies" (List) or "Covers" view, one tap on the movie of choice brings up the movie coverart and synopsis page, and a link to "Play now" and "Show details on Kaleidescape". One tap on "play now" starts the selected movie.

I'm interested in purchasing this app as it's now £18.99 on the app store. Is anyone actively using this?
I noticed the developer hasn't updated the app since April 2014.

Back