• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

18Gbps HDMI Extenders - Latest and Greatest?

Kurvenal

When I installed my system a couple of years ago, there were no HDMI over ethernet extenders capable of delivering 18Gbps. So after much helpful (and patient) advice from Mike Kobb and two Jims (Cinelife and Peterson of Lumagen), I went with the combination of a Radiance Pro VP and two cables that consistently gave good results with the Kaleidescape HDMI tool: a 10m Ruipro optical cable and a 12m Ethereal MHX passive cable paired with the Ethereal Gigabit accelerator.

Fast forward 18 months, and I am getting occasional video dropouts and the Kaleidescape HDMI tool is intermittently showing noise in my HDMI signal. I also had problems testing my cables with the highest chroma setting on my Apple TV 4K.

So I am wondering if HDMI extenders have finally caught up with the rest of the 4K ecosystem. Last year none of the extenders had chips fast enough to deliver 18Gbps. Has that bottleneck finally been broken?

Am looking for any recommendations based on proven experience and consistent performance delivering a 4K HDR signal.

Many thanks.

I use a 15m monoprice fiber between my Lumagen Pro and Projector. Been solid and recommended by many. SJ

The fiber HDMI is really the best way to go. Extenders may be able to handle 18gbps, but even CAT6a can’t handle that speed. You can run two CAT6’s but as far as I know, there are no extenders available that except two cable.

All the extenders we've seen that support 4:4:4/60 offer "virtually lossless" compression. So no.

I'm running a 120' Celerity Fiber cable with no issues. We've seen some quality issues lately and have switched to AV Pro Edge Bullet Fiber cables with no issues so far.

Kevin D.

These work and are recommended by Lumagen for use with their processors and also Kaleidescape gets a mention too.

5 to 50m HDMI via Amazon and others

Ruipro HDMI Fiber Cable Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0 Subsampling 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 Slim and Flexible With Optic Technology (50m)

These work and are recommended by Lumagen for use with their processors and also Kaleidescape gets a mention too.

Ruipro HDMI Fiber Cable Light High Speed Support 18.2 Gbps 4K at 60Hz HDMI 2.0 Subsampling 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0 Slim and Flexible With Optic Technology (50m)

Confirmed. This cable solved all the handshaking problems. I am using the 50ft/15m with no issues since 18 months.

This is actually the cable I am using now. For the most part it works well, but I have had some dropouts recently while playing 4K HDR content and also noticed using the Kaleidescape HDMI tool that I am occasionally getting noise in my HDMI connection.

a 10m Ruipro optical cable

FYI: I purchased 2 RuiPro cables 15 months ago and I recently ran into issues. I contacted Lumagen and we came to the conclusion that my 10m cable has gone bad (my 15m RuiPro cable is still working flawlessly). Got the 10m cable replaced by RuiPro under their 2-year warranty!

Seems like the first thing to expect when HDMI is acting up, is a bad cable...

So, possibly your 10m cable was from the same flawed batch as mine. (I got mine in early March 2017. The 10m cable seemed to be an earlier manufacture than the 15m although I purchased them at the same time).

FYI: I purchased 2 RuiPro cables 15 months ago and I recently ran into issues. I contacted Lumagen and we came to the conclusion that my 10m cable has gone bad (my 15m RuiPro cable is still working flawlessly). Got the 10m cable replaced by RuiPro under their 2-year warranty!

Seems like the first thing to expect when HDMI is acting up, is a bad cable...

So, possibly your 10m cable was from the same flawed batch as mine. (I got mine in early March 2017. The 10m cable seemed to be an earlier manufacture than the 15m although I purchased them at the same time).

Very interesting. I also purchased my Ruipro 10m cable in March 2017. I have contacted the seller and explained the issues I am having, and they have agreed to send me a replacement cable. I will be interested to see if I can get the cable to work with my Apple TV when I set the video to 4K HDR (60 Hz) with Chroma at 4:2:2.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I have not personally used them, but two clients have them in their installs, one short (less than 30'), and the other has a 70' run and no issues. The latter purchased his online.

Jim

Back