• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

16x9 110 Screen

Old Fart

Thinking about buying one of these units. When you have wide screen content, is it just like I was watching on a Blue Ray player, bars on top and bottom? Or does it fit the content to fill the 16x9 screen. Thanks

If there is something different than 16x9, it won't fill the screen. 4x3 will have bars on the sides and 2.4:1 will have bars across the top. You can buy a video processor like the Envy Pro that will automatically stretch the video to fill the screen, but this can cause picture distortion which some don't mind but others don't like. BTW, you have the same issue with any ratio screen, so even if you had a 2.4:1 ratio screen, then you would have bars on the side when watching 16x9 material. By the way, I have a lightly used 16x9 110" Seymour acoustically transparent screen that I recently replaced with a 2.4x1 screen. I haven't gotten around to posting it for sale, so PM me if interested.

You can also add top masking and have the best of both worlds for that size screen. Best to have a video processor to manipulate the image (eg move the image to the bottom of the screen). Here is my 16:9 screen with masking down.

D026758B-7BB7-4843-B875-E2FB91773D7F.jpeg

You can also add top masking and have the best of both worlds for that size screen. Best to have a video processor to manipulate the image (eg move the image to the bottom of the screen). Here is my 16:9 screen with masking down.

View attachment 2807
This is what I do as well. I have my Radiance Pro shift letterboxed content to the bottom of my screen and then I have a top mask. Works great, looks great. I have a motorized (roll-down) screen in my theater, so 4-way masking was not doable. I did have an intention of adding variable side masks so that I could do more of a constant-area masking approach, but our first attempt at a custom mechanism for that was unsuccessful and I've not had the time and motivation to try v2, although I have all the parts sitting on a shelf. Someday, perhaps. I should at least move the v1 side masks to the proper position for 4:3 content for when I watch classic films.

Back