• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

• 🔷Why can't I make a new post here in "The Marketplace"? 🤔

All registered users can reply to other members' posts here in the Marketplace, to respond as potential buyer or ask questions of the seller.
    However, only members who have paid to become "Premium" members or "Patrons" can make a new "for sale" post here in Marketplace.

Premium memberships can be purchased for as little as $10... a very reasonable fee in order to sell equipment here, far lower than the seller's fee would be on eBay or Audiogon or other sites. Our site doesn't sell ads or sell user's information. This small fee is the only source of funds for the site to offset the costs it takes to run the forum.

For more information on purchasing a Premium or Patron membership, please see the Account Upgrades section of your user profile.

FOR SALE: 14 x 1 TB Re-Initialized Hard Disks for 1U/3U

esisoon

Hey everyone

I'm currently in the midst of replicating a system, as soon as that is done I am putting up 14 x 1TB hard disks for sale.

I have 5 x 1TB with warranties expiring on 20 Sept 2010, and the rest of 9 x 1TB expiring on 21 July 2010.

I will pay for re-initializing. These disks have been kept in air-conditioned environments since I had it installed, never been reported for over-heating or failure. I am asking for US$500 per disk, shipping to be paid for by buyer.

Let me know if this interests you!

I might be interested in one of them, but I have a few technical questions first.

If I have two 1U servers on the same subnet (each with three 750GB) and in the same group, if I needed more capacity must I add a 4th disc to each of the servers? Or could I get by just adding one disc to one of the servers and leaving the other with an empty slot?

So if I add a 1TB to a server with three 750GB, I gather I only gain 750GB extra capacity for content, and an extra 250GB for parity? How would that 250GB for parity ever be used when the largest disc for content is 750GB?? I just don't understand that bit.

When I've got two 1U servers in a group like this, does each server have a 750GB disc set aside for parity, or is only one 750GB used for parity and all the others for content? Can I swap discs between servers in a group?

Or, being mindful of capacity requirements with BluRay when M500Mk2 and Vault get released. Should I just replicate all my content from both servers onto the one server with three new 2TB discs, leaving me with 6 surplus discs and an empty server that I can sell?

Hey man, I may not be an expert but here's my shot at answering your questions. I stand to be corrected :)

I might be interested in one of them, but I have a few technical questions first.

If I have two 1U servers on the same subnet (each with three 750GB) and in the same group, if I needed more capacity must I add a 4th disc to each of the servers? Or could I get by just adding one disc to one of the servers and leaving the other with an empty slot?
I believe you can add only a 4th disc to either one of the 1U servers, that will give you the additional space provided by that 1 disk. The answer is yes, you can get by just adding one disk to one of the servers and leave the other empty.

So if I add a 1TB to a server with three 750GB, I gather I only gain 750GB extra capacity for content, and an extra 250GB for parity? How would that 250GB for parity ever be used when the largest disc for content is 750GB?? I just don't understand that bit.
If you had 3 x 750GB on a 1U and you added an additional 1TB, that additional 1TB you have just added now becomes a parity drive, and the 750GB that was previously a parity drive will now be freed up to be used for storage.

When I've got two 1U servers in a group like this, does each server have a 750GB disc set aside for parity, or is only one 750GB used for parity and all the others for content? Can I swap discs between servers in a group?
I believe each 1U chassis requires their own parity drive. Meaning to say if you had 10 1U servers clustered together in the same group, you would have 10 parity drives - 1 each in each server chassis. No, you can't swap singular disk drives between servers, but you can swap disk sets between servers. For example, if you took the hard disk out of Server 1 Slot 2 and put it into Server 2 Slot 4, I don't think it'll work. But if you took all the hard disks from Server 1 and put all of them into Server 2, that won't be a problem. Drives are married together, but the drives and the chassis aren't.

Or, being mindful of capacity requirements with BluRay when M500Mk2 and Vault get released. Should I just replicate all my content from both servers onto the one server with three new 2TB discs, leaving me with 6 surplus discs and an empty server that I can sell?
I think its really your call, depending on the amount of content (including Blu-rays) you intend to store. Bear in mind that 1 Blu-ray = 6 DVDs (approx.), a 1U fully loaded with 2TB disks could get you 900 DVDs, but only 150 Blu-rays. If you are intending to store more Blu-rays, I would suggest for you to keep the server and purchase additional drives as and when necessary. Sell the surplus disks, keep the server. My 2 cents.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you are interested in my drives. Thanks.

Back