• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

1.85 movies in CinemaScape mode

zatchury

I’m new to Kaleidescape. I’m using a Strato. I run in CinemaScape mode, because I use an anamorphic lens and a 2.35 screen.

I’ve watched several 2.35:1 movies, one 2.20:1 movie, and a couple 1.33:1 movies with no issue.

Tonight I fired up my first movie in the 1.85 aspect ratio, Mommie Dearest. It’s slightly letterboxed inside a 16:9 frame. But the weird thing is that in CinemaScape mode, K is stretching it. It’s as if K thinks the file is 1.85 and it’s attempting to resize it to fit pillar-boxed at the right width and height for that ratio. (K does this for the 2.20 movie I own — Tenet — successfully.) But since the file isn’t actually 1.85 but 16:9 with a letterboxed 1.85 image, the calculation is wrong.

I can prove this isn’t my eyes playing tricks, because the image bleeds over my 16:9 side masking. When I switch the Kaleidescape out of CinemaScape mode back to 16:9 default mode, the image fits neatly inside my masking.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it possible K is using the 1.85 metadata to resize the image incorrectly for CinemaScape? Could it just be this one movie? Have I done something to cause this?

Thanks in advance for indulging my question!

Hmmm. I'm scratching my head on this one a bit, because I'm not completely sure what you're seeing. When in normal, non-CinemaScape mode, a movie with a 1.85 aspect ratio looks, as you noted, slightly letterboxed. The image is the full width of the frame, with very small black bars top and bottom.

When you play that movie on your system in CinemaScape mode, you've reported that it's wider than 16:9, as evidenced by the image spilling onto the side masks (which I presume are at exactly the 16:9 position). Are you still seeing thin black bars top & bottom?

Can you describe, also, the image chain from your player to your projector? Is there any additional video processing involved?

Seeing what happens with another 1.85:1 movie would be a valuable data point. Something is not adding up.

Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, @MikeKobb and @andy, I appreciate your responses. As it happens, I have another 1.85:1 movie on deck, so I will see if I can reproduce it with that movie. If so, I’ll take photos. If not, it may have just been a glitch with Mommie Dearest.

I did see slight letterbox bars in the image that spilled over, which is what makes me think the metadata and not the dimensions of the image itself were being used to calculate.

As for what’s in the video chain, I don’t use a video processor, so it’s just the Strato going into an HDMI switcher which then feeds to the projector. The projector is an Epson with a Panamorph in front of it. If I can reproduce, I’ll make sure to note the settings of the Strato and the projector along with each photo I take.

I did a quick test here (using a Samsung display rather than a projector) to compare the output of Mommy Dearest (1.85) and an episode of The Sopranos (1.78).

With my Strato in CinemaScape Anamorphic mode, the left and right edges of the picture for both the 1.85 and 1.78 content were in the same place. The 1.85 picture has slight letterboxing at the top and bottom edges of the picture as expected.

EDIT: Nevermind. My original quick test was faulty.

We do have a known issue that we're tracking internally for this problem. I don't know when a fix will be available. In the meantime, the only work-around I can suggest is to have your control system programmed to keep the screen mask fully open for any content that has an aspect ratio greater than 1.78.

Last edited:
Back