• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

You do not own digital copies

It's only a matter of time before this becomes more common-place. Remember a similar thing happening when Amazon withdrew an e-book from their store and people's copies disappeared from their libraries, without warning.

I'm not sure how this would work with K, since the system does not have to be connected to the internet. I asked a similar question at CEDIA and one of the guys said even if a title is removed from the store in the future (he specifically mentioned licensing/exclusive agreements), you will be able to redownload it in case of drive failure.

Still, would be nice to know if K has the ability to remove content from your systems as seems to be the case with the article.

Correct, you do not own the content, it is licensed to you. This is also true of content on physical discs. You "own" the actual physical disc you purchased from a retailer, but you do not "own" the content on the disc, that is copyrighted, protected, content that is licensed to the buyer of the disc (or buyer of downloaded content).

I doubt K would delete content from any system (unless there was a legal reason to do so).

Jim

So in a situation where Kaleidescape loses the rights to distribute a movie, that you own but it's in the cloud, that is in their store and we wanted to re-download the copy of the film, we could not. Correct?

Kaleidescape will not likely comment on what they would do if that hypothetical occured, but knowing Kaleidescape's CEO, and company Exec's, I suggest the following:

--Kaleidescape will always look out for their customers interests (I think history bares that out), and I'm confident they would never do anything that negatively affected our access to purchased content, unless they had a legal requirement to do so (either contractual or to comply with a law).

Jim

From what I was told, purchased content is available to redownload even if removed from the store since no RAID protection exists. The cloud acts as your backup. Hopefully items are not removed from the store permanently as they are on Netflix (or other subscription based services).

Now say they lost a studio:
Hopefully their contracts state that purchased content remains downloadable, considering that they will not be making any money on redownloads.

MoviesAnywhere is the Divx that Disney always wanted. I am staying Kaliedescape and Shiny Disc backup. I never trust content providers

Back