• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Yes, the Premiere line is ending....

@cinelife Thank you for that.
I may play around with this at some point.
I am a software engineer after all and a hacker at heart.
I also don't really mind to pay for drives as long as they're available, it's if they become unavailable that is like to not get burned.

Anyway, just yesterday I jumped the gun on a used 3U, but it only.comea with 3 1TB drives. Is this enough for the server to even run? Or do I need a minimum of 6 or 8 drives? If so, I would be okay with just purchasing some new 6TB drives in addition to what is in there, especially if you or someone else could hook me up with a good deal.

The 1U, 2 M300 and KVAULT10 that I have are till in Denmark, so I need to get them over before I can actually start getting some use of that server.

Are the DV700 and M700 still available for new purchase? Or would I have to hunt them down used?

Understood. I expect drives to remain available for a long time, and if they decide to give up drives as well, we will find a way to make those available.

Yes, the 3U will work with 3 drives. 3U's need 3 drives initially, one allocated to KRAID, one Hot Spare, and one for storage. Yours should work, but that assumes those were the only 3 drives in that set (none have been removed), and they all work.

Yes, both Vaults (DV700 and M700) are currently still available from K.

Jim

Thanks Jim, that's good to know, and thank you for helping clearing up my questions.
Once I take delivery of the server, should be in a couple of days. Presuming it's working as advertised and not destroyed by the carrier, I'll probably reach out to you about ordering a couple of drives, and also getting pricing for a vault.

Sounds good, you know how to reach me! :)

Jim

Realizing that this is a nearly two year since the last update thread...

If we stuck with Option 1 from the OP, what support options, if any, remain for Premier products?
e.g. Service kits, 3U server P/S, T&M - out of warranty rate terms via K, et cetera

Is there any third party service centers which are known to attempt to service Premier products at this point or resell refurbished components?

Is there any trade-in programs available for Premier components (e.g. 1U, 3U, vault) to current product line?

There are "some" parts available. They usually have the power supply, fan unit, and optical drive. They may also have the pogo board, bezel, hinges, but these are more limited. They also have the 6TB drives. They try to maintain some parts for these servers, and will continue to do so into the future provided the cost of parts is reasonable and it makes business sense to keep these in inventory (basically they have to balance the order requirements when purchasing parts against actual demand/need for the parts).

NOTE: One important caveat regarding power supplies. K has gotten "burned" on a few returns of power supplies for Servers after owners purchased the PSU hoping it would fix their problem, and then when it didn't they insisted on returning the PSU claiming they were told the PSU was needed to fix the problem. Because of this, there's now an added step required to confirm owners are aware that replacing the PSU may or may not fix their problem, and the PSU's are NOT returnable.

I'm not aware of any 3rd party repair sites.

Yes, there are trade-in and trade-up promos for older Premiere components. There are currently two programs, one for trading Premiere to Premiere, and one for trading up from Premiere to Strato/Terra. Your dealer will have the specific details and prices. You can do this even with some models that are not currently working. Again, your dealer can help with this, but if they're not responsive reach out to me by email or PM and I'll explain the details.

Jim

Nice write-up Noah! I did the same analysis and replaced most of my 3U's with 1U+'s after deleting content I'll never watch, and replacing with Store content. I was forced to stay with the two system setup (Co-Star) because I have 6 rooms that are Premiere only, I only have a few rooms that have access to my UHD/HDR content. I mention this because many of my clients have similar situations where they feed several rooms in their homes with Premiere only, limiting UHD/HDR to one or two displays, so giving up Premiere would eliminate access to K in those rooms, which is not an option for most.

(I sent you the current 1U+ pricing by private conversation.)

Jim
do you really need to watch 6 rooms at the same time with different movies? You could do multiple rooms with a video matrix as long as you will be watching the same movie. By adding another player would give 2 different movies available on the matrix to be played in each of the 6 rooms. Adding more players would give give additional options for input to the matrix.

do you really need to watch 6 rooms at the same time with different movies? You could do multiple rooms with a video matrix as long as you will be watching the same movie. By adding another player would give 2 different movies available on the matrix to be played in each of the 6 rooms. Adding more players would give give additional options for input to the matrix.

Of course that's certainly an option, but not everyone operates that way. Nothing at all wrong with the logic of using a good matrix system to support multiple rooms, but you'd be surprised at the number of owners I follow and support that have homes with 7+ rooms and prefer to full playback independence in each room. I've offered matrix setups many times, and in each case except a couple, the owners opted for more players versus matrix solutions, usually because they don't want any playback limitations in any room in the home.

If you're single, a couple, or a small family, you obviously don't need as many independent full playback zones.

Jim

Back