• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Workaround found! Non-catalogued Blu-Ray cannot be played due to region mismatch

Peter Nielsen

Hello,

I previously posted about the problem with Region B Blu-ray discs that are not recognized (not catalogued by Kaleidescape). Some of these discs would not play when pressing "Play Disc" and I ended up with a message that the Blue Ray region does not match, although I have both Region A and Region B players in the system.

Today I realized that this problem (of course!) only happens on my Region A player and the movie plays fine on the Region B player!

With this in mind, I started the movie on the Region B player and paused it. After this, I can resume it on my Region A player and all is good...

A good workaround for a frustrating issue.

Wow - very clever workaround.
Let's hope it's not a loophole that Kaleidescape now has to go back and fix now that it's out there.

Wow - very clever workaround.
Let's hope it's not a loophole that Kaleidescape now has to go back and fix now that it's out there.

The loophole is the "Play Movie" feature that lets us skip all the pesky checks and code in the intro/trailer section. I doubt very much that K-scape would remove this feature.

The problem is that "Play Movie" does not exist for non-catalogued discs, which caused quite a bit of frustration until I figured out this workaround :)

You can also manually enter the region for the disc using the browser interface, in the same place that you go to enter other disc information like title or cover art. The system just needs to know in advance what region disc you're playing.

You can also manually enter the region for the disc using the browser interface, in the same place that you go to enter other disc information like title or cover art. The system just needs to know in advance what region disc you're playing.

Oh! Where/how is this done? Is this the browser interface you're referring to? I just can't see where to enter the region...

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hey Mike, looking at a different movie, I see the selector you're referring to. For some reason the region selector is present for some unknown region movies and not for others.

It looks like the movie above (Stereo) is partly catalogued. There is a "Synopsis" and other info. However it does not have the "Play Movie" option. Apparently it was catalogued without a disc at hand (no region info) and can only be played on a "B" player since there is no region selector or "Play Movie" option that lets us skip the disc software check.

Apparently the partial cataloguing left the movie with Unknown region, but due to the partial cataloguing logic in the browser software removes the Region drop-down menu. This looks like a bug to me - the region drop-down should always be present if the region is unknown, right?

attachment.php

Attachments

• hevireissu.png
    hevireissu.png
    81 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Let's use a different term than "Cataloging", since that is the name of a different feature on Kaleidescape systems (to add movies to your library without importing the discs).

If a movie has media guide information entered by our Media Guide Services team, then you can't change the disc region in the browser interface. We enter region information when we know it, but in some cases we don't.

If you would be so kind as to send me the serial number of your server in a private message, I'll ask the guide services team to enter the region for this disc as B for you.

If a movie has media guide information entered by our Media Guide Services team, then you can't change the disc region in the browser interface. We enter region information when we know it, but in some cases we don't.

Yes, this is obviously how it works. However, since the region information was not known when your Media Guide Services team did this, it really makes no sense that the information they added removed the selector. Since they did not enter region info, the selector is needed and should still be present. Definitely an undesired side effect, or as some of us prefer to call it "accidental bug" :)

It would be better if the region selector was always present when the region is "Unknown" and/or when "Play Movie" is missing. Basing the region selector presence on either one (or both) of these criteria would be perfect (or at least better than it's now).

Thanks,
Peter

Agreed, sorry, I meant to include more information in that posting but was distracted. Anyway, as you've already figured out, once a movie has media guide information, the browser interface suppresses that region popup. I've filed an enhancement request to change this for discs that have not been fully processed with start bookmarks. In the meantime, if you'd like to send me that serial number, we'd be happy to correct the data for this disc.

I noticed today that I have a similar issue with some titles imported from region B discs. I tried the work around of playing and then pausing on my region B player, but then I didn't see it listed in my paused titles collection on my region A players. I also have the same problem of not being able to edit the region of these discs from the web browser interface. Is there any other way to update the region or should I contact support?

I know that some of these discs weren't recognized in the movie guide when I first imported them. I entered the barcode and the movie guide was updated several days later. For any future unrecognized discs, would it help the media guide team if I also entered the region of the disc along with the barcode?

Thanks,
Ken

Back