• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Wifi/ethernet questions for downloading

Hnupe

Hello,

Just got my Strato S and I am beyond excited. My current issue is the download time for a movie(4 hours). My router is on my second level of my house and my Home Theater is in my Basement. I have not had any issues with streaming(Apple TV), Xbox Series X, Playstation 5, etc. The wifi strength shows only 60%, thus a major issue using wifi. I installed a Powerline Wifi adapter for ethernet cable use in my home theater...this is giving me 4 hour download time. Any suggestions? Products I should buy.

Streaming typically only requires at most 25-30 Mbps and you can easily obtain that over Wi-Fi. However, as you’ve discovered, downloads require greater throughput to achieve faster downloads. If you go to the History page on the browser interface, you can see what throughput your currently getting on downloads. I’d be curious what that number is and what speed the internet coming into your house is.

The best route is obviously an Ethernet cable, but I’m guessing that is not an easy solution? Before you go through a lot of trouble with any solution, you might want to move the Strato temporarily close enough to connect an Ethernet cable (make sure it supports 1 Gbps) and see what the best speeds you can expect. With a Strato, I believe the max throughput you can expect is around 200 Mbps (a Terra gets you close to 1 Gbps) and it would be interesting to know if you are achieving that with a wired solution.

If you’re seeing a significant difference, you can decide what to do from there. If you can’t run a cable, there may be someone on the forum who can share some wireless devices they’re having success with. The only one I’ve really heard working very well is Ruckus, but have zero first-hand experience to confirm.

Good luck!
Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streaming typically only requires at most 25-30 Mbps and you can easily obtain that over Wi-Fi. However, as you’ve discovered, downloads require greater throughput to achieve faster downloads. If you go to the History page on the browser interface, you can see what throughput your currently getting on downloads. I’d be curious what that number is and what speed the internet coming into your house is.

The best route is obviously an Ethernet cable, but I’m guessing that is not an easy solution? Before you go through a lot of trouble with any solution, you might want to move the Strato temporarily close enough to connect an Ethernet cable (make sure it supports 1 Gbps) and see what the best speeds you can expect. With a Strato, I believe the max throughput you can expect is around 200 Mbps (a Terra gets you close to 1 Gbps) and it would be interesting to know if you are achieving that with a wired solution.

If you’re seeing a significant difference, you can decide what to do from there. If you can’t run a cable, there may be someone on the forum who can share some wireless devices they’re having success with. The only one I’ve really heard working very well is Ruckus, but have zero first-hand experience to confirm.

Good luck!
Andy

Update, I ran a VERY long ethernet cable directly from my router to the Strato, it is showing 35 minutes. Now, I need to figure out how to replicate that download speed without running a massive ethernet cable down my stairs, etc.....and it's not safe(tripping, etc.)

At least now you know it is worth the effort.

Is there no path to somehow run a cable in the wall? That is your best solution. A wireless option may be a challenge if the Strato is really that far from the router. Have you considered adding one or more Wi-Fi extenders? Or maybe look into a mesh network solution that gets a stronger signal the more extenders you add.

Something that may help in your efforts is a mobile app that measures the wireless signal strength as you move through the house. I use one called Wi-Fi SweetSpots (on iPhone) that lets me see how strong (or weak) the signal is as I move from room to room. This can give you some ideas where to install any extenders or maybe even somewhere to move your router.

Andy

Do you have any coax distribution in the house? Your can have pretty good results with a MOCA solution.

Do you have any coax distribution in the house? Your can have pretty good results with a MOCA solution.
I do not, I am going to start getting quotes on various solutions. I am going to try a wifi extender first and go from there.

I installed a Powerline Wifi adapter for ethernet cable use in my home theater...this is giving me 4 hour download time. Any suggestions? Products I should buy.
Which generation powerline, and have you tried to go powerline for ethernet? I use that for my office, and the current ones actually perform decently (don't recall the exact results off-hand.)

Which generation powerline, and have you tried to go powerline for ethernet? I use that for my office, and the current ones actually perform decently (don't recall the exact results off-hand.)
I am using Netgear Powerline 1200

I am using Netgear Powerline 1200
So current gen. Have you run something like StarTrinity's Continuous Speed Test, or even regular tests (Ookla, Netflix, etc.,) using a computer, to see what kind of throughput you are getting on that endpoint?

Back