• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Why the discrimination against UK-based customers in the movie store?

JeffTVR

I am a UK customer and have been an enthusiastic support of the Kaleidescape system which I have had now for nearly 7 years (with some upgrading along the way). I have just over 2500 movies on my system, a mix of DVDs and Blu-rays. I noticed that shortly after the store was launched in the UK, my ability to upgrade movies from DVD to HD (at about ?6 per film) just about disappeared from around 90 movies now down to 2 (all others others I can upgrade but only at a full price). I managed to upgrade about half a dozen before this occurred, as I was upgrading as I was re-watching them. I have also noticed that shortly after the HD disc free option (at ?1.99) was launched, this also then disappeared. I was in the US over Christmas and was interested to see what would happen if I logged into the movie store from there. I found that I then had the option to potentially upgrade just under 300 movies to HD and around 150 to go disc free (at $5.99 and $1.99, respectively). Unfortunately, I could not actually buy anything as I am not a US-based customer, but it did show me what wold be available to me if I were. What is the basis for this the discrimination (leaving aside the cost differential)? Does anyone know? I would be interested in your thoughts as fellow Kaleidescape enthusiasts! Thanks!

I sincerely doubt "discrimination" is the right word here. And even if it *is* the right word, I doubt it's on K's head and is instead on the movie studios. It's them that require all this stuff to be "per country", not K.

Maybe others can shed more light on why this is how it is, but you might also just ask K via a support ticket. There's got to at least be a reason why you had those options at one time and then they disappeared, and *that* could just be some kind of bug in the system nobody has noticed yet. Or it could be they offered something that they didn't have a right to offer and had to take it back or risk getting in trouble with the studios.

I'm quite sure K would like nothing more than to be selling you and the rest of the world everything they sell us US folks, but unfortunately I don't think that is within their control.

--Donnie

Donnie, thanks for the response. Perhaps discrimination was too strong a word to use and I know a lot of this depends on the studio, but my guess is that at least the pricing is all down to K (as it is with all other retailers,e.g. amazon). I suppose it would be helpful to know what exactly is within K's control and what is within that of the studio. I will raise a query with K as you suggest. What's the best way of doing that? I have never raised one before (all others have been through my retailer). Cheers! Jeff

Donnie, thanks for the response. Perhaps discrimination was too strong a word to use and I know a lot of this depends on the studio, but my guess is that at least the pricing is all down to K (as it is with all other retailers,e.g. amazon). I suppose it would be helpful to know what exactly is within K's control and what is within that of the studio. I will raise a query with K as you suggest. What's the best way of doing that? I have never raised one before (all others have been through my retailer). Cheers! Jeff

support@kaleidescape.com

I mean I wouldn't bug them for general pricing questions, but since you had options that have since disappeared, well, that seems like possibly something they would at least be able to answer as to why, and potentially "fix" if it's really broken. So worth a shot.

--Donnie

The odd thing is that I often find that on Amazon, UK/European region blu-rays are often materially cheaper than their US based versions. Not always, but fairly often. I would also note that when I try and get the digital copy of the European version, I am denied. So I doubt its a K thing.

Back