• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Why Do You Collect?

TrackZ

In the wake of the Mulan to Disney+ news, the other article I posted that may start a real trend of diminished physical media, and the overall changeover of content from physical to digital like we enjoy with Kaleidescape, I'd like to start a dialog/feedback regarding the following types of questions:

- Why do you maintain a library of video content?
- Why do you "collect"?
- What factors, reasons, emotional return, logistical reasons, etc. drive making acquisitions into your library?
- What kind of gratification does maintaining a library provide you?
- What can Kaleidescape do to better cater to the collector and library building psychology?

Thanks!

I'm a collector by nature. Even from when I was a kid, I just loved collecting sets of things. I'm also a huge movie buff, so it's a dangerous combination for my wallet. I have mostly gone digital since physical just takes up so much space and it kinda hides my "addiction" :) I have almost 1,500 movies and TV shows on Vudu which is my primary collecting location. I LOVE that they'd added custom lists recently which are great for making small collections. I also pretty much only buy movies that support Movies Anywhere, which is a huge issue for K right now and a cause for my K Store purchases to go down significantly.

As far as Mulan, it makes me sad but I can't blame Disney for wanting to keep all the profits from their movie and not share. I can see a day where big Disney movies come exclusively to Disney+ and never make it to EST. That is truly sad for collectors. Having platform exclusive releases on streaming platforms and not available for sale is disappointing. There are a few Netflix movies and shows that I would love to buy and have in my collection.

Even though I can watch almost any movie on some random streaming platform, it makes me happier that I'm streaming my movie that I own and is part of my collection.

"What can Kaleidescape do to better cater to the collector and library building psychology?": Join Movies Anywhere. MA is a dream come true for collectors. I just wish all studios and retailers participated.

Adding one more big thing that I forgot: Bonus Features. Behind the scenes, director commentary, etc. are very important to me. None of the streaming services have that and only something you get when purchasing.

+1 on Movies Anywhere. I'm not sure why I'd ever buy a movie on the Kaliedescape store anymore since more of them I can buy on Amazon, I can stream anywhere, and it appears in Movies Anywhere.

One of the biggest factors in why I still "collect" on Kscape is licensing issues. We all remember the tremendous demise of UltraViolet, which proved that nobody's safe. MA is waaaaaaay better, but after UV I still get the heeby jeebies from any streaming only platform. I've even had iTunes stuff I'VE PAID FOR disappear all the same due to expired licenses. At least with Kscape, I can literally pull the plug on my internet and everything still works just fine, along with uncompromised AV quality.

Licensing issues go into traditional streaming big time as well. I have a BUNCH of stuff in my Amazon queue that is simply not available any longer, even if I wanted to pay for a rental/purchase. The cover art and description shows up but now says "unavailable." Stuff in my Netflix queue just disappears all the time, so definitely can't trust those.

I LOVE that any movie I've paid for on Kscape (or on disc), I can always count on for movie night. That's why I still collect movies. A sense that they (should) always be mine to keep. Yes, I know technically there are still funky license issues, but the bottom line and reality is the movie studios won't ever touch what we've paid for on K. :)

An interesting thing about Kaliedescape is the large up-front cost one must pay to have a "guarantee" that movies you buy will be "always" be yours. The upfront cost of $4,000 to $10,000+ buys a lot of physical movie copies in the event that a streaming service were to delete movies you bought previously...especially at depreciated Blu-Ray disc costs years after a title has hit the theaters. Plus, factoring in the the generally smaller per-title purchase price on other streaming platforms as you build up your digital collection. It seems economically one might be way ahead buying movies on streaming platforms (at least ones that you trust to be there in 15 years from now like Amazon Video, Netflix, Hulu, Disney), and then just rebuying any movie that for some reason is no longer available online. I'm more concerned with what happens to my K library if K ever goes bankrupt or shuts down.

I'm debating what to do long term with my Cinema One collection, as I've tended to buy more videos through other providers. Having gone through VHS -> DVD -> BluRay/HD -> digital -> UHD -> 4K (and eventually to 8k), one thing that I do value with digital movies over physical media (besides the space) is the ability to "upgrade" content I already purchased to have higher video and sound quality as new formats release.

Back