• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Why are DC Universe Animated Movies which are 4k Disc Only Offered in HD on KScape?

Steve Bruzonsky

I've noticed that DC Universe animated 4k blu rays, such as "Constantine: City of Demons", "Batman: Assault on Arkham", "Justice League Dark", "Reign of the Supermen", "Batman and Harley Quinn", "Batman: Gotham By Gaslight", "Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay" are available on disc as both 4k HDR as well as blu ray, but on Kaleidescape only as blu ray. Wonder why KScape doesn't have the 4k versions? Or is the 4k perhaps no better other than upscaled 2k animation and the "HDR" is simply added in the 4k conversion process so that its not true 4k or HDR? The ones of these listed at the "Real or Fake 4k" website are all listed as upsampled 2k but with HDR!

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Kaleidescape Universe, it's a blast.

37787735.jpg

This one was released in HDR first but it was unwatchable crushing blacks and blowing highlights.

Then they released the UHD and was much better.

Kaleidescape QC may have decided based on a similar situation to not do the UHD on the other tiles mentioned. I speculate..

Last edited:
Actually I've watched these titles as I had them in 4k blu ray before I recently got KScape:
"Constantine: City of Demons", "Batman: Assault on Arkham", "Justice League Dark", "Reign of the Supermen", "Batman and Harley Quinn", "Batman: Gotham By Gaslight", "Suicide Squad: Hell To Pay". Using Lumagen Radiance Pro with dynamic tone mapping. Most everything looked fine, except perhaps firy explosions which had I would think too much red. I suspect the difference in HDR color vs blu ray is minimal (as some of these titles transferred via Ultraviolet to give me the KScape HD versions, I did just a tad of comparison), thus with the issues you reference that KScape made the decision just to sell the blu ray versions! Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the Kaleidescape Universe, it's a blast.

Kaleidescape QC may have decided based on a similar situation to not do the UHD on the other tiles mentioned. I speculate..

It’s not K. These (or the ones I checked) aren’t 4K on FandangoNow or Vudu either.

But I see this happen the other way as well. There are plenty of 4K titles lately that seem to only be 4K streaming and not 4K disc.

all of the above look good, the other 2....?? No idea.

Make sure to get up and running with managing favorite scripts. You can borrow mine here. 3 years researching the most immersive scenes FOR HIGH CHANNEL COUNT TRINNOV SYSTEMS regardless of atmos or not.

I finally got around to listening to your “Extended Intro to Holographic Audio” Script. It is very good! It is interesting that in addition to Atmos sound tracks there are quite a few DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound tracks that sound amazing when upmixed!

Thanks for putting this together and sharing!

For others that would like to try this it is listed on the download page and called “The Kitchen Sink”. There is one file that is the script and one file that is just marked scenes.

Note: You don’t have to download the scenes for the script file to work - loading scripts automatically marks the custom scenes.

John

Thank you, I almost never watch a whole movie, I prefer creating immersive demos that are format agnostic. Every time I co-participated at CEDIA our demos brought best in the show.

I believe the Strato is the best source for this.

Totally agree! The one thing Kaleidescape has that no one else does is the ability to make scenes and then string them together in scripts. I spend a lot of time using these features.

John

Back