• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Where to legally buy 4K movies and store them on a local 'server'

jdRSA

Hi

I have spent a fair amount of time looking for an alternative solution online but it seems only Kaleidescape offers this service.

Looking for a service that allows 4K movies to be locally saved on a server and not streamed over the Internet.

My client does not have the budget for a Kaleidescape system.

I used to do this with an Itunes server and using home share to AppleTV's. But Apple won't allow this for anything above 1080....

Any advise would be appreciated.

Fusion Research, not sure what they currently offer (I know they don't have a "Store"), but they do apparently copy physical UHD discs. I do not know their pricing, which may or may not be competitive with Kaleidescape.

Jim

Assuming they're still in business (haven't checked in awhile).

Jim

Interesting....albeit at a little bit of a higher price point. The cataloguing is a bit of a wish list item that I wished we had with the Strato system. Even something like taking a barcode pic via the Kscape app to catalogue your movies in the library would be a great concept. Wonder how they are able to get around the copyright items that Kscape apparently ran into.

I ran across the same issue you did when I had my HT store. Had customers who needed such a solution but couldn't or weren't willing to pony up for K. At the end of the day, I just didn't want to have ANYTHING to do with being the one professionally assisting a customer with what's considered a grey area for many of us, but a serious matter for the film industry.

While it's one thing for us individuals to dive into such a grey area for ourselves, I didn't feel comfortable with helping others in an official capacity since we'd be higher up on people's radars. ESPECIALLY since some of my own customers were major Hollywood producers. Haha. Nope! It was K or nothing from my company. Anything else and my customers would have to figure things out on their own.

Not that anything comes close to the K experience anyway, but it's even better that it comes with the official legal blessing of the industry. Been a heck of a tough battle for them to even get to this point. So frustrating.

Assuming they're still in business (haven't checked in awhile).
It seems they have been around for a very long time, and yet there is virtually zero "chatter" about them on the internet. Maybe they require every customer to sign an NDA!?!?!

:p;):rolleyes:

There is some of their gear on ebay, so it is 'real'. This one is interesting: https://www.ebay.com/itm/FUSION-RES...454470?hash=item469ad66c86:g:KMAAAOSwAwJdSL9Y

One of the photos of that item is with the cover off. It looks a little 'un-professional' IMHO. 32GB SSD, woohoo!

I agree with the notion that there is very little information about these products anywhere online. Their facebook page is pretty sparse (and wierd) too. The lead photo is a stack of cardboard boxes :confused:

We do have a solution for yachts , which will also be oke for houses and planes etc .

we have same contract as airplanes companies have.

Fusion has been around for many years, they've just kept a low profile and are probably trying to remain below the radar of the content protectors. I don't know if they still operate the way they did when the opened, but IIRC, just like with Axonix (out of business), you had to install your own ripping software. They might have gotten brave over the years and pre-install now, or perhaps they went legit and have contracts in place that allow the persistent copy.

(I do have a couple of client/friends that came to K from Fusion, and have indicated that K is a much better platform.)

Jim

I used them for a while, but too many glitches and way too much work to get your content on the system. Customer service was horrible. Their website is still up though, can’t compare to Kaleidescape. https://www.fusionrd.com

Back