• Thanks for visiting the Kaleidescape Owners' Forum

This forum is for the community of Kaleidescape owners, and others interested in learning about the system, equipment, services, and the company itself.

It is run by a group of enthusiastic Kaleidescape owners and dealers purely as a service to this community.

This board is not affiliated in any way with Kaleidescape, Inc.
    For official technical support, product information, or customer service, please visit www.kaleidescape.com

• You are currently in "Guest" mode and not logged in with a registered account.

The forum is free to use and most of the forum can be used by guests who are not registered....

... but we strongly encourage you to register for a full account. There is no cost to register for a full account.

Benefits of registering for a full account:

• Participate in the discussions! You must have a registered account to make posts on the forums. You will be able to start your own thread on a topic or question, or you can reply to other threads/discussions.
    • Use the "Conversation" feature (known as "private messaging" on other forums) to communicate directly with any of the other users here.
    • Access the Files area. The "resources" area of the forum contains many "Favorite Scene" and Script files that can dramatically increase the enjoyment of your Kaleidescape system. Go directly to great scenes in your favorite movies, created by other owners, and add automation to playback of your system with Scripts.
    • You won't see this annoying notice at the top of every screen!😊

It's easy and free to register for the forum. Just click the "Register" button in the upper right corner of this page, and follow the instructions there.

Where do you buy DVDs?

josh

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Administrator
⭐️⭐️PATRON⭐️⭐️
Kaleidescape owners must be some of the most prolific purchasers of DVDs. I'm wondering if anyone has found any particularly good sites from which to purchase movies other than Amazon.

My own personal preference lately has been Overstock.com Prices are good, usually better than Amazon, shipping charges are reasonable (sometimes discounted down to $2.95 regardless of number of items in a single order), they do a good job of letting you preorder unreleased DVDs, and shipping is usually fast. On several occasions, they even ship out movies MORE than 1 day ahead of the official release date, and I've received many Tuesday-release movies on the previous Saturday or Monday.

Anyone have any sites they'd recommend?

Josh:

I use Amazon for the most part. Shipping cost is a non-issue because I joined up with their service called Prime. For $75/yr (cost when I signed up 2 years ago), they ship everything with 2-day UPS. Most DVDs come within 1 day of shipping and always within 2 days. I found their prices to be some of the best on most DVDs, especially pre-orders. If separate shipments are required for 5 DVDs that are part of the same order, there still is no shipping fee and all are shipped under 2-day UPS. The shipping charge for next day shipping under prime is $3.95 per item if you need the item immediately, which seems fair. The price guarantee works great for pre-orders as well as pre-orders are the most heavily discounted.

Overstock - The Riches 37.41; Charlie Wilson's War 17.91
Amazon - The Riches 24.99; Charlie Wilson's War 16.99
Deepdiscount - The Riches 34.89; Charlie Wilson's War 17.88

This week I purchased the above from Amazon as well as the 4 season of The O.C. (individually). Amazon was running them at 16.99/season. Season 1 seems to have jumped to 32.99 for some reason now, but the others are still 16.99. These DVDs are 30+ at overstock and deepdiscount. There are times when Amazon is more for certain DVDs, but generally the savings on other DVDs offsets the higher price on particular choices, and I save time not shopping around too much.

I've also used deepdiscount.com. Their prices are also good and they have 2 yearly sales where they take an additional 20% for about 2 weeks so the price discount can be significant for already discounted catalog titles. Others will tell what the best DVD prices are during those sales at a site called dvdtalk.com in the Bargains forum during a deepdiscount.com sale.

If you're really into max savings and willing to shop around aggressively, I've used dvdpricesearch.com to compare prices. At this site you basically use a compare shopping cart to load all DVD selections and then it price compares against a number of sites including amazon, deepdiscount, overstock and others, including the cost of shipping in the comparison. It's very handy.

As with all online sites, the prices vary widely, but I go with Amazon because the Prime program offers fast service and free shipping. The shipping program is available for nearly all items offered through Amazon itself, but not from other vendors selling through that site.

I haven't bought any Blu-ray yet, so I'm not as familiar with pricing of those items.

Happy shopping.

Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Back